Mar 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Let’s take a look at a night in which a lot of West teams lost, which softens the blow for the Dallas Stars, who would probably regret a 4-3 shootout loss in which they held a 3-1 lead a lot more otherwise.
- OK, already kind of summarized it, but Dallas saw a 3-1 margin disintegrate into a shootout loss. Tim Thomas lost his first game as a Stars goalie; he might not be the go-to guy much longer with Kari Lehtonen nearing a return.
- The Winnipeg Jets found themselves beat up and beaten as the New York Rangers topped them 4-2. The Jets’ outlook seems increasingly glum with a 2-4-4 record in their last 10 games.
- The Nashville Predators are one point behind the Jets, yet things seems more positive with them, as Pekka Rinne has looked strong in his return from injury and they’ve won three in a row … including a 3-2 against the Chicago Blackhawks tonight.
- The Vancouver Canucks rank ahead of both the Jets and Predators. Even so, their situation seems the darkest of the three, with the reasons seemingly fairly straightforward. Washington beat them 4-3 tonight.
- Above the wild card races, the San Jose Sharks won their fifth game in a row by beating the New York Islanders 4-3, yet the Anaheim Ducks moved above them in the Pacific Division via a wild 6-4 win against the Colorado Avalanche.
- In the Central Division, both the Colorado Avalanche and Chicago Blackhawks lost in regulation, so the Avs remain one point ahead for second in the Central.
Need to see things in standings terms? Here’s the updated picture via NHL.com:
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)