Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Kari Lehtonen‘s recovery from a concussion is going well enough that the Dallas Stars are aiming for him to start on Sunday.
Lehtonen was injured against the Minnesota Wild on March 8 when Erik Haula violently collided with him, knocking him out of the game. As Steve Hunt from NHL.com shares, the Stars are encouraged by Lehtonen’s progress.
“Kari will get tested,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff said. “Obviously he’s looked good the last couple days. He’ll go through his protocol. We’ll get an update later [Friday] and if that update is good he’ll be available in all likelihood to play our next game.”
That game is Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets. In the meantime, Tim Thomas has started the team’s past two games earning an overtime win against St. Louis and a shootout loss to Calgary. The game against Columbus on Monday was postponed after Rich Peverley‘s cardiac incident.
Lehtonen’s progress has been impressive especially after he was said to be “not doing well” just two days after being injured. Concussions are curious injuries.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)