Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Kari Lehtonen‘s recovery from a concussion is going well enough that the Dallas Stars are aiming for him to start on Sunday.
Lehtonen was injured against the Minnesota Wild on March 8 when Erik Haula violently collided with him, knocking him out of the game. As Steve Hunt from NHL.com shares, the Stars are encouraged by Lehtonen’s progress.
“Kari will get tested,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff said. “Obviously he’s looked good the last couple days. He’ll go through his protocol. We’ll get an update later [Friday] and if that update is good he’ll be available in all likelihood to play our next game.”
That game is Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets. In the meantime, Tim Thomas has started the team’s past two games earning an overtime win against St. Louis and a shootout loss to Calgary. The game against Columbus on Monday was postponed after Rich Peverley‘s cardiac incident.
Lehtonen’s progress has been impressive especially after he was said to be “not doing well” just two days after being injured. Concussions are curious injuries.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)