Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Kari Lehtonen‘s recovery from a concussion is going well enough that the Dallas Stars are aiming for him to start on Sunday.
Lehtonen was injured against the Minnesota Wild on March 8 when Erik Haula violently collided with him, knocking him out of the game. As Steve Hunt from NHL.com shares, the Stars are encouraged by Lehtonen’s progress.
“Kari will get tested,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff said. “Obviously he’s looked good the last couple days. He’ll go through his protocol. We’ll get an update later [Friday] and if that update is good he’ll be available in all likelihood to play our next game.”
That game is Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets. In the meantime, Tim Thomas has started the team’s past two games earning an overtime win against St. Louis and a shootout loss to Calgary. The game against Columbus on Monday was postponed after Rich Peverley‘s cardiac incident.
Lehtonen’s progress has been impressive especially after he was said to be “not doing well” just two days after being injured. Concussions are curious injuries.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)