Mar 15, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Kari Lehtonen‘s recovery from a concussion is going well enough that the Dallas Stars are aiming for him to start on Sunday.
Lehtonen was injured against the Minnesota Wild on March 8 when Erik Haula violently collided with him, knocking him out of the game. As Steve Hunt from NHL.com shares, the Stars are encouraged by Lehtonen’s progress.
“Kari will get tested,” Stars coach Lindy Ruff said. “Obviously he’s looked good the last couple days. He’ll go through his protocol. We’ll get an update later [Friday] and if that update is good he’ll be available in all likelihood to play our next game.”
That game is Sunday against the Winnipeg Jets. In the meantime, Tim Thomas has started the team’s past two games earning an overtime win against St. Louis and a shootout loss to Calgary. The game against Columbus on Monday was postponed after Rich Peverley‘s cardiac incident.
Lehtonen’s progress has been impressive especially after he was said to be “not doing well” just two days after being injured. Concussions are curious injuries.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 0
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 8
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)