Mar 15, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
Was it an epic comeback by the Montreal Canadiens, or did the Ottawa Senators get robbed of two points? Controversy.
The Canadiens overcame a three-goal third-period deficit with three goals in three minutes and 21 seconds, then defeated the Senators in overtime on Saturday night. The winner created the most angst for the Senators, as they felt goalie Robin Lehner had the puck covered. There were no whistles on the play, and Francis Bouillon buried a loose puck to give the Habs a come-from-behind victory.
Asked about an explanation from the officials, Jason Spezza told reporters: “None. They said it was too loud.”
The Canadiens were also given a late power play with less than two minutes remaining in regulation, as Ottawa’s Kyle Turris was called for a hook on Andrei Markov. David Desharnais tied the game with a power play goal with 0.3 seconds remaining on the clock.
“The puck is covered at the end, no call. It’s tough, we’re fighting for our lives right now, it’s hard not to get emotional. We put ourselves in a bad spot, we gave them a little life, but at the same time it’s tough enough playing a hockey team along with everyone else in the building.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)