Mar 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
As if things weren’t hard enough for the Buffalo Sabres, they’ll be going into their game against the New York Islanders tonight down two defensemen.
Tyler Myers and Alexander Sulzer will both be out of the game Saturday night as John Vogl of The Buffalo News shares. Interim coach Ted Nolan said Myers will miss at least tonight’s game, but Sulzer could be out 1-2 weeks after he was injured against Carolina on Thursday night.
With Myers out along with Sulzer, the team recalled rookie defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen on an emergency basis. Ristolainen joins Chad Ruhwedel as a fellow emergency call-up on defense.
The Sabres are last place in the NHL with 49 points and being without their No. 2 defenseman in Myers (second only to Christian Ehrhoff) makes life that much more difficult.
This season, Myers has nine goals and 13 assists and is averaging just under 23 minutes of ice time per game.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 6
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 53
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (53)