Mar 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
As if things weren’t hard enough for the Buffalo Sabres, they’ll be going into their game against the New York Islanders tonight down two defensemen.
Tyler Myers and Alexander Sulzer will both be out of the game Saturday night as John Vogl of The Buffalo News shares. Interim coach Ted Nolan said Myers will miss at least tonight’s game, but Sulzer could be out 1-2 weeks after he was injured against Carolina on Thursday night.
With Myers out along with Sulzer, the team recalled rookie defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen on an emergency basis. Ristolainen joins Chad Ruhwedel as a fellow emergency call-up on defense.
The Sabres are last place in the NHL with 49 points and being without their No. 2 defenseman in Myers (second only to Christian Ehrhoff) makes life that much more difficult.
This season, Myers has nine goals and 13 assists and is averaging just under 23 minutes of ice time per game.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 1
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 42
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)