Mar 15, 2014, 1:48 PM EST
As if things weren’t hard enough for the Buffalo Sabres, they’ll be going into their game against the New York Islanders tonight down two defensemen.
Tyler Myers and Alexander Sulzer will both be out of the game Saturday night as John Vogl of The Buffalo News shares. Interim coach Ted Nolan said Myers will miss at least tonight’s game, but Sulzer could be out 1-2 weeks after he was injured against Carolina on Thursday night.
With Myers out along with Sulzer, the team recalled rookie defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen on an emergency basis. Ristolainen joins Chad Ruhwedel as a fellow emergency call-up on defense.
The Sabres are last place in the NHL with 49 points and being without their No. 2 defenseman in Myers (second only to Christian Ehrhoff) makes life that much more difficult.
This season, Myers has nine goals and 13 assists and is averaging just under 23 minutes of ice time per game.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)