Mar 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Washington Capitals rookie Evgeny Kuznetsov had a heck of a breakout game against Vancouver on Friday night.
After notching his first three NHL assists against the Canucks, Caps fans are excited about the arrival of the 2010 first-round pick. Washington coach Adam Oates, however, is trying to keep everyone’s excitement in check as Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares.
“I really want to caution about getting to far ahead,” Oates said. “He made a couple good plays. Good. He can make a couple boneheads tomorrow. He’s a good hockey player, he’s played pro hockey, even though it’s over there. Do I expect him to make that pass to Willy? It was a great pass. Awesome. Is he learning? Yeah, I hope so. But I also want to caution myself on the wow factor.”
We’re sure some fans in Washington are going to look at Oates being like a wet blanket, but it’s true that one game doesn’t make a career.
At 21 years old, Kuznetsov could have a long NHL career ahead of him. At this point, however, he’s just three games into it. If he can keep up the solid play from Friday night, he won’t be going away any time soon.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)