Mar 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Washington Capitals rookie Evgeny Kuznetsov had a heck of a breakout game against Vancouver on Friday night.
After notching his first three NHL assists against the Canucks, Caps fans are excited about the arrival of the 2010 first-round pick. Washington coach Adam Oates, however, is trying to keep everyone’s excitement in check as Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares.
“I really want to caution about getting to far ahead,” Oates said. “He made a couple good plays. Good. He can make a couple boneheads tomorrow. He’s a good hockey player, he’s played pro hockey, even though it’s over there. Do I expect him to make that pass to Willy? It was a great pass. Awesome. Is he learning? Yeah, I hope so. But I also want to caution myself on the wow factor.”
We’re sure some fans in Washington are going to look at Oates being like a wet blanket, but it’s true that one game doesn’t make a career.
At 21 years old, Kuznetsov could have a long NHL career ahead of him. At this point, however, he’s just three games into it. If he can keep up the solid play from Friday night, he won’t be going away any time soon.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)