Mar 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Washington Capitals rookie Evgeny Kuznetsov had a heck of a breakout game against Vancouver on Friday night.
After notching his first three NHL assists against the Canucks, Caps fans are excited about the arrival of the 2010 first-round pick. Washington coach Adam Oates, however, is trying to keep everyone’s excitement in check as Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares.
“I really want to caution about getting to far ahead,” Oates said. “He made a couple good plays. Good. He can make a couple boneheads tomorrow. He’s a good hockey player, he’s played pro hockey, even though it’s over there. Do I expect him to make that pass to Willy? It was a great pass. Awesome. Is he learning? Yeah, I hope so. But I also want to caution myself on the wow factor.”
We’re sure some fans in Washington are going to look at Oates being like a wet blanket, but it’s true that one game doesn’t make a career.
At 21 years old, Kuznetsov could have a long NHL career ahead of him. At this point, however, he’s just three games into it. If he can keep up the solid play from Friday night, he won’t be going away any time soon.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)