Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
The injury problems for the Detroit Red Wings just keep getting worse.
Detroit has a myriad of injuries at center and now their troubles have moved to the wing as Todd Bertuzzi will miss Sunday’s game against Chicago with a lower-body injury. Jordin Tootoo was recalled from AHL Grand Rapids to replace him.
The Wings are already without Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Tomas Jurco, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, and Joakim Andersson and, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, coach Mike Babcock could use a break from the bad injury luck.
“They’re hurt, they’re hurt,” Babcock said. “Helmer would have been in a week ago if it was up to me. That’s why I’m not allowed to be involved in that. But getting ready for summer isn’t a priority. We need guys back. So how can we get them back? Well a guy with a broken foot and broken rib, they’re not coming back. The head one, you never know. We could use anybody available.”
The problems at center are bad enough for the Wings, but having the seeming injury epidemic spread to the other forwards makes the battle to get in the playoffs that much harder.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 14
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)