Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
The injury problems for the Detroit Red Wings just keep getting worse.
Detroit has a myriad of injuries at center and now their troubles have moved to the wing as Todd Bertuzzi will miss Sunday’s game against Chicago with a lower-body injury. Jordin Tootoo was recalled from AHL Grand Rapids to replace him.
The Wings are already without Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Tomas Jurco, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, and Joakim Andersson and, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, coach Mike Babcock could use a break from the bad injury luck.
“They’re hurt, they’re hurt,” Babcock said. “Helmer would have been in a week ago if it was up to me. That’s why I’m not allowed to be involved in that. But getting ready for summer isn’t a priority. We need guys back. So how can we get them back? Well a guy with a broken foot and broken rib, they’re not coming back. The head one, you never know. We could use anybody available.”
The problems at center are bad enough for the Wings, but having the seeming injury epidemic spread to the other forwards makes the battle to get in the playoffs that much harder.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)