Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
The injury problems for the Detroit Red Wings just keep getting worse.
Detroit has a myriad of injuries at center and now their troubles have moved to the wing as Todd Bertuzzi will miss Sunday’s game against Chicago with a lower-body injury. Jordin Tootoo was recalled from AHL Grand Rapids to replace him.
The Wings are already without Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Tomas Jurco, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, and Joakim Andersson and, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, coach Mike Babcock could use a break from the bad injury luck.
“They’re hurt, they’re hurt,” Babcock said. “Helmer would have been in a week ago if it was up to me. That’s why I’m not allowed to be involved in that. But getting ready for summer isn’t a priority. We need guys back. So how can we get them back? Well a guy with a broken foot and broken rib, they’re not coming back. The head one, you never know. We could use anybody available.”
The problems at center are bad enough for the Wings, but having the seeming injury epidemic spread to the other forwards makes the battle to get in the playoffs that much harder.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 73
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50