Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
The injury problems for the Detroit Red Wings just keep getting worse.
Detroit has a myriad of injuries at center and now their troubles have moved to the wing as Todd Bertuzzi will miss Sunday’s game against Chicago with a lower-body injury. Jordin Tootoo was recalled from AHL Grand Rapids to replace him.
The Wings are already without Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Tomas Jurco, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, and Joakim Andersson and, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, coach Mike Babcock could use a break from the bad injury luck.
“They’re hurt, they’re hurt,” Babcock said. “Helmer would have been in a week ago if it was up to me. That’s why I’m not allowed to be involved in that. But getting ready for summer isn’t a priority. We need guys back. So how can we get them back? Well a guy with a broken foot and broken rib, they’re not coming back. The head one, you never know. We could use anybody available.”
The problems at center are bad enough for the Wings, but having the seeming injury epidemic spread to the other forwards makes the battle to get in the playoffs that much harder.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)