Mar 15, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
The injury problems for the Detroit Red Wings just keep getting worse.
Detroit has a myriad of injuries at center and now their troubles have moved to the wing as Todd Bertuzzi will miss Sunday’s game against Chicago with a lower-body injury. Jordin Tootoo was recalled from AHL Grand Rapids to replace him.
The Wings are already without Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Tomas Jurco, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, and Joakim Andersson and, as Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports, coach Mike Babcock could use a break from the bad injury luck.
“They’re hurt, they’re hurt,” Babcock said. “Helmer would have been in a week ago if it was up to me. That’s why I’m not allowed to be involved in that. But getting ready for summer isn’t a priority. We need guys back. So how can we get them back? Well a guy with a broken foot and broken rib, they’re not coming back. The head one, you never know. We could use anybody available.”
The problems at center are bad enough for the Wings, but having the seeming injury epidemic spread to the other forwards makes the battle to get in the playoffs that much harder.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 0
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 21
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 7
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)