Mar 15, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
With the game on the line Thursday against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Dustin Brown was on the bench.
That’s where he remained for the final seven minutes of the third period in what was a 3-2 Toronto victory over Brown and the Kings. And now, due to illness, he might not be in the lineup for the Kings when they take on the Anaheim Ducks in an all-California Pacific Division showdown Saturday.
At least, that’s according to a report from LA Kings Insider.
He talked about Thursday’s benching earlier in the day. It was another tough situation to find himself in, in what has been an overall difficult 2013-2014 season.
Brown has only 12 goals on the season. Previously, his lowest total in a season in which he played more than 40 regular season games was 14, back in 2005-06.
“As a player you’re not happy but, he’s the coach and I’m the player and that’s how it works,” Brown said, as per NHL.com.
“We discussed it briefly. It’s one of those things where, as a player I can contribute more and he thought our line was not as good.
“I haven’t had a very good year. I’m the first one to say that. I think coming out of the Olympic break I’ve been playing a lot better, feeling a lot better. My mindset’s just different. Now it’s just about working my way back to where I’m capable of playing. I’ve always done PK. Again … I’ve got to work my way back into it.”
Updated: As per Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times, Brown is scratched from the Kings’ lineup.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)