Mar 15, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT
With the game on the line Thursday against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Dustin Brown was on the bench.
That’s where he remained for the final seven minutes of the third period in what was a 3-2 Toronto victory over Brown and the Kings. And now, due to illness, he might not be in the lineup for the Kings when they take on the Anaheim Ducks in an all-California Pacific Division showdown Saturday.
At least, that’s according to a report from LA Kings Insider.
He talked about Thursday’s benching earlier in the day. It was another tough situation to find himself in, in what has been an overall difficult 2013-2014 season.
Brown has only 12 goals on the season. Previously, his lowest total in a season in which he played more than 40 regular season games was 14, back in 2005-06.
“As a player you’re not happy but, he’s the coach and I’m the player and that’s how it works,” Brown said, as per NHL.com.
“We discussed it briefly. It’s one of those things where, as a player I can contribute more and he thought our line was not as good.
“I haven’t had a very good year. I’m the first one to say that. I think coming out of the Olympic break I’ve been playing a lot better, feeling a lot better. My mindset’s just different. Now it’s just about working my way back to where I’m capable of playing. I’ve always done PK. Again … I’ve got to work my way back into it.”
Updated: As per Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times, Brown is scratched from the Kings’ lineup.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)