Kings’ Brown discusses third-period benching against Leafs (Updated)

Mar 15, 2014, 8:12 PM EDT

Dustin Brown Getty Images

With the game on the line Thursday against the Toronto Maple Leafs, Dustin Brown was on the bench.

That’s where he remained for the final seven minutes of the third period in what was a 3-2 Toronto victory over Brown and the Kings.  And now, due to illness, he might not be in the lineup for the Kings when they take on the Anaheim Ducks in an all-California Pacific Division showdown Saturday.

At least, that’s according to a report from LA Kings Insider.

He talked about Thursday’s benching earlier in the day. It was another tough situation to find himself in, in what has been an overall difficult 2013-2014 season.

Brown has only 12 goals on the season. Previously, his lowest total in a season in which he played more than 40 regular season games was 14, back in 2005-06.

“As a player you’re not happy but, he’s the coach and I’m the player and that’s how it works,” Brown said, as per NHL.com.

“We discussed it briefly. It’s one of those things where, as a player I can contribute more and he thought our line was not as good.

“I haven’t had a very good year. I’m the first one to say that. I think coming out of the Olympic break I’ve been playing a lot better, feeling a lot better. My mindset’s just different. Now it’s just about working my way back to where I’m capable of playing. I’ve always done PK. Again … I’ve got to work my way back into it.”

Updated: As per Helene Elliott of the L.A. Times, Brown is scratched from the Kings’ lineup.

1. jhaegs - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM

What a captain!

• bcsteele - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I’m confused as to who is thumbing you down bro? Isn’t a captain supposed to lead by example and be the LAST person you question the effort of?

He didn’t have it in Sochi and he doesn’t have it now. Whatever magic he had a couple years ago Kings fans better hope he finds again and soon cause he’s not half the player he was nor near his worth on cap hit now. But the playoffs are all that matter at the end of the day so we’ll see how it goes.

But as a Blues fan? Just keep on sinking Brown!

• jhaegs - Mar 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM

All 8 of blomfeld’s accounts gave me a thumbs down…

2. strictlythedanks - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:51 PM

b rat

3. areaman714 - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Easily the least respected captain in the NHL. I am Sutter’s conversation with Brown to get back on the bench went similar to another recent conversation with a captain with similar regard as Browknee . . .

• ethanmacleod1685 - Mar 15, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Blomfeild?

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

If it is, I will be sad. I love Area Man references from the Onion. I’m going to get my dog the Area Pet dog bowl.

• areaman714 - Mar 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Nope. Just ‘exemplifying’ his dweebish-ness . . .

• areaman714 - Mar 15, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Blommer will never be worthy of any area, man!

4. blomfeld - Mar 15, 2014 at 10:51 PM

MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY ?

*** earlier today at a sporting goods store ***

Areaman: hi asshole ! … listen, do you idiots sell sports stuff here ?

Blomfeld: reckon we do …

Areaman: good, cause I want a Flyers brassiere right now !

Blomfeld: it’s a shame …

Areaman: what’s a shame ? … what the hell are you talking about asshole ?

Blomfeld: it’s a shame that it has to come to this … KAPOW ! .. KABOOM ! .. KAZAAM !

****************************************************************************************
    Friends, it’s a well known fact that one of the ‘signature’ signs of vermin is their penchant to strike only when the coast ‘appears’ to be clear. And in that context I would submit to you that these people like Areaman, Ethanmacleod and JCmeyer are nothing more than whiskered ‘yellow-toothed’ rats crying out ‘pathetically’ for attention. Well ‘fair enough’ I suppose ? … just as it’s ‘fair enough’ that we King’s fans are made of invincible steel (ie: Krupp steel) in terms of our loyalty, conviction and honor. Nonetheless, the bottom line is that Captain Brown is guilty of nothing more than going through a personal ‘rough patch’ in terms of his play …. it happens from time to time to everyone. The difference however, is that unlike the majority of other ‘turncoat’ fan bases during trying or difficult times, we King’s fans will always choose to ‘close rank’ with a wounded comrade and continue to support him until such time that he’s mended his hurts and can take his place back in the line ! That and ‘that’ alone is exactly why LA has the greatest NHL fans of all ! :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________________

WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU ? …

HOW ABOUT ‘CAPTAIN’ HIS TEAM TO STANLEY CUP C VICTORY ! :) :) :)

• strictlythedanks - Mar 16, 2014 at 12:39 AM

shethanmcleoud sucks

• areaman714 - Mar 16, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Yes. Flexing the internet muscle I see. Join Browknee on the bench. I am sure he was really “sick”.

5. mp1131211 - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Why do I even bother to read the comments sections anymore?

6. bsaures - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I guess Brown is showing his true colors (pun intended). Not a coincidence his game goes south immediately after LA gives him a 8 year contract

7. 19to77 - Mar 15, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Team captain. Healthy scratch because he’s not useful enough at any aspect of hockey to justify NHL ice time over other players on the Kings’ roster. He’s literally just plain not good enough to justify an NHL role in the eyes of his own coach. Done and done. No need to even insult him. He’s done the damage himself.

As a hockey fan who appreciates players with a sense of honour, dignity and relatively clean play in a rough, physical sport, I couldn’t be happier that this classless jerkoff is struggling to find a job in the NHL. I hope he never dresses for a professional hockey team again. He degrades the sport every single time he laces up a pair of skates. I hope he spends the rest of his life watching better, more deserving men play in his stead.

• jhaegs - Mar 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Ya. And his face is goofy too!

8. sharksfan97 - Mar 16, 2014 at 2:20 AM

After years of dirty hits maybe, and hopefully, karma is catching up with this guy. It’s time for Brown’s career to come to an unceremonious end.

9. aldog83 - Mar 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Western Conference Playoffs will be a Bloodbath this season.

St Louis Anaheim Chicago San Jose Colorado

All will be very difficult to win.

Gaborik will need to score more along with Brown and Richards if the Kings are to get passed 1st RD.

Im hoping for the best! Its been 2 straight amazing playoffs for LA and Kings!

GKG!