Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday unveiled an eight-foot statue of Fred Shero outside XFINITY Live!
Perhaps the best part was that Ray Shero, Fred’s son and the general manager of the rival Pittsburgh Penguins, was on hand for the event.
The statue was created by Chad Fisher, according to CSN Philadelphia.
“Mr. Fisher did a fantastic job with it and that’s part of the legacy I talk about,” Ray Shero said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “My kid, when they come back, they can always see that and know their grandfather was part of the Flyer family.”
Fred Shero won two Stanley Cups as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers – in 1974 and 1975. He also won 308 regular season games behind the Flyers’ bench. In 1976, the Flyers had a chance to pull off three consecutive championships, but lost in the final to the Montreal Canadiens. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last November.
“He coached here, the Spectrum was here, he’s now in front of the area where we all had so many great memories,” Flyers chairman Ed Snider said, as per NHL.com.
“He’ll be remembered here forever. I think it’s fantastic. He was the greatest coach we ever had, one of the greatest guys you’ll ever want to meet.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 2
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 37
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)