Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday unveiled an eight-foot statue of Fred Shero outside XFINITY Live!
Perhaps the best part was that Ray Shero, Fred’s son and the general manager of the rival Pittsburgh Penguins, was on hand for the event.
The statue was created by Chad Fisher, according to CSN Philadelphia.
“Mr. Fisher did a fantastic job with it and that’s part of the legacy I talk about,” Ray Shero said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “My kid, when they come back, they can always see that and know their grandfather was part of the Flyer family.”
Fred Shero won two Stanley Cups as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers – in 1974 and 1975. He also won 308 regular season games behind the Flyers’ bench. In 1976, the Flyers had a chance to pull off three consecutive championships, but lost in the final to the Montreal Canadiens. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last November.
“He coached here, the Spectrum was here, he’s now in front of the area where we all had so many great memories,” Flyers chairman Ed Snider said, as per NHL.com.
“He’ll be remembered here forever. I think it’s fantastic. He was the greatest coach we ever had, one of the greatest guys you’ll ever want to meet.”
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)