Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday unveiled an eight-foot statue of Fred Shero outside XFINITY Live!
Perhaps the best part was that Ray Shero, Fred’s son and the general manager of the rival Pittsburgh Penguins, was on hand for the event.
The statue was created by Chad Fisher, according to CSN Philadelphia.
“Mr. Fisher did a fantastic job with it and that’s part of the legacy I talk about,” Ray Shero said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “My kid, when they come back, they can always see that and know their grandfather was part of the Flyer family.”
Fred Shero won two Stanley Cups as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers – in 1974 and 1975. He also won 308 regular season games behind the Flyers’ bench. In 1976, the Flyers had a chance to pull off three consecutive championships, but lost in the final to the Montreal Canadiens. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last November.
“He coached here, the Spectrum was here, he’s now in front of the area where we all had so many great memories,” Flyers chairman Ed Snider said, as per NHL.com.
“He’ll be remembered here forever. I think it’s fantastic. He was the greatest coach we ever had, one of the greatest guys you’ll ever want to meet.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)