Mar 15, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday unveiled an eight-foot statue of Fred Shero outside XFINITY Live!
Perhaps the best part was that Ray Shero, Fred’s son and the general manager of the rival Pittsburgh Penguins, was on hand for the event.
The statue was created by Chad Fisher, according to CSN Philadelphia.
“Mr. Fisher did a fantastic job with it and that’s part of the legacy I talk about,” Ray Shero said, as per CSN Philadelphia. “My kid, when they come back, they can always see that and know their grandfather was part of the Flyer family.”
Fred Shero won two Stanley Cups as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers – in 1974 and 1975. He also won 308 regular season games behind the Flyers’ bench. In 1976, the Flyers had a chance to pull off three consecutive championships, but lost in the final to the Montreal Canadiens. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame last November.
“He coached here, the Spectrum was here, he’s now in front of the area where we all had so many great memories,” Flyers chairman Ed Snider said, as per NHL.com.
“He’ll be remembered here forever. I think it’s fantastic. He was the greatest coach we ever had, one of the greatest guys you’ll ever want to meet.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)