Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils are deep in the mix for the postseason and anytime they drop a game, it hurts. For goalie Cory Schneider he’s taking those losses very close to heart.
Such was the case when the Devils dropped a 5-3 decision to the Florida Panthers on Friday night. What made it worse was the fact the Devils were up 3-1 at one point. As Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shares, Schneider felt he let the team down.
“Your teammates need to be able to trust the goalie that if they do turn the puck over or make a mistake, he’ll be there to bail them out,” Schneider said. “For the last few games I’m not giving my teammates that trust that if they make a mistake I’m going to be there to make a save.”
Schneider stopped just 17 out of 21 shots against Florida and has lost his past three starts. He gave up seven goals to Detroit in the Red Wings’ 7-4 win on March 7 and four goals to San Jose in the Sharks’ 4-2 win on March 2.
While Martin Brodeur has been a bit better of late, it’s tough to think the Devils are going anywhere near the postseason if Schneider doesn’t get his game together.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)