Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are deep in the mix for the postseason and anytime they drop a game, it hurts. For goalie Cory Schneider he’s taking those losses very close to heart.
Such was the case when the Devils dropped a 5-3 decision to the Florida Panthers on Friday night. What made it worse was the fact the Devils were up 3-1 at one point. As Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shares, Schneider felt he let the team down.
“Your teammates need to be able to trust the goalie that if they do turn the puck over or make a mistake, he’ll be there to bail them out,” Schneider said. “For the last few games I’m not giving my teammates that trust that if they make a mistake I’m going to be there to make a save.”
Schneider stopped just 17 out of 21 shots against Florida and has lost his past three starts. He gave up seven goals to Detroit in the Red Wings’ 7-4 win on March 7 and four goals to San Jose in the Sharks’ 4-2 win on March 2.
While Martin Brodeur has been a bit better of late, it’s tough to think the Devils are going anywhere near the postseason if Schneider doesn’t get his game together.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)