Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are deep in the mix for the postseason and anytime they drop a game, it hurts. For goalie Cory Schneider he’s taking those losses very close to heart.
Such was the case when the Devils dropped a 5-3 decision to the Florida Panthers on Friday night. What made it worse was the fact the Devils were up 3-1 at one point. As Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shares, Schneider felt he let the team down.
“Your teammates need to be able to trust the goalie that if they do turn the puck over or make a mistake, he’ll be there to bail them out,” Schneider said. “For the last few games I’m not giving my teammates that trust that if they make a mistake I’m going to be there to make a save.”
Schneider stopped just 17 out of 21 shots against Florida and has lost his past three starts. He gave up seven goals to Detroit in the Red Wings’ 7-4 win on March 7 and four goals to San Jose in the Sharks’ 4-2 win on March 2.
While Martin Brodeur has been a bit better of late, it’s tough to think the Devils are going anywhere near the postseason if Schneider doesn’t get his game together.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)