Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are deep in the mix for the postseason and anytime they drop a game, it hurts. For goalie Cory Schneider he’s taking those losses very close to heart.
Such was the case when the Devils dropped a 5-3 decision to the Florida Panthers on Friday night. What made it worse was the fact the Devils were up 3-1 at one point. As Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shares, Schneider felt he let the team down.
“Your teammates need to be able to trust the goalie that if they do turn the puck over or make a mistake, he’ll be there to bail them out,” Schneider said. “For the last few games I’m not giving my teammates that trust that if they make a mistake I’m going to be there to make a save.”
Schneider stopped just 17 out of 21 shots against Florida and has lost his past three starts. He gave up seven goals to Detroit in the Red Wings’ 7-4 win on March 7 and four goals to San Jose in the Sharks’ 4-2 win on March 2.
While Martin Brodeur has been a bit better of late, it’s tough to think the Devils are going anywhere near the postseason if Schneider doesn’t get his game together.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (103)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)