Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils are deep in the mix for the postseason and anytime they drop a game, it hurts. For goalie Cory Schneider he’s taking those losses very close to heart.
Such was the case when the Devils dropped a 5-3 decision to the Florida Panthers on Friday night. What made it worse was the fact the Devils were up 3-1 at one point. As Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger shares, Schneider felt he let the team down.
“Your teammates need to be able to trust the goalie that if they do turn the puck over or make a mistake, he’ll be there to bail them out,” Schneider said. “For the last few games I’m not giving my teammates that trust that if they make a mistake I’m going to be there to make a save.”
Schneider stopped just 17 out of 21 shots against Florida and has lost his past three starts. He gave up seven goals to Detroit in the Red Wings’ 7-4 win on March 7 and four goals to San Jose in the Sharks’ 4-2 win on March 2.
While Martin Brodeur has been a bit better of late, it’s tough to think the Devils are going anywhere near the postseason if Schneider doesn’t get his game together.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 11
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 2
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)