Mar 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EST
The start of Thomas Vanek‘s time as a Canadien hasn’t been great — the team has lost all three games with him in the lineup, and he’s only managed to register one assist.
According to Habs head coach Michel Therrien, Vanek needs to change his style of play for the team to have more success.
“He’s got to make some adjustments to his game,” Therrien said, per NHL.com. “I understand that he’s confident on the left side; he’s been playing there most of his career.
“But at times you’ve got to adjust with the players that you’ve got and put together lines that you think will give you success as a team.”
Therrien has been playing Vanek as a right winger and seems set on continuing to do so. At Friday’s skate, Vanek was on the right side of center David Desharnais (Max Pacioretty was on the left), this after spending some time as a right winger on the Tomas Plekanec-Brian Gionta line (Daniel Briere is the RW now.)
It’s worth noting, however, that some metrics suggest Vanek’s game is fine the way it is.
According to SB Nation site Eyes on the Prize, Vanek’s Fenwick rating — a shot-based possession stat — is 62. 9 percent and Montreal’s is plus-21 percent when he’s on the ice. There’s also the argument Therrien should use Vanek more, as the Austrian forward has yet to top the 18 minute plateau in any of his three games with Montreal, and twice failed to crack 16.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)