Mar 14, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
The New York Islanders have called up 21-year-old Swedish rookie Johan Sundstrom from AHL Bridgeport, and he’ll take Michael Grabner‘s spot in the lineup tonight in San Jose.
With the move, Sunstrom — who’s making his NHL debut — will be the eighth rookie to play for the Islanders this season. He’ll also give the team a decidedly fresh-faced look up front, joining the likes of Ryan Strome (20 years old), Brock Nelson (22), Mike Halmo (22), Casey Cizikas (23), Anders Lee (23), Josh Bailey (24) and Matt Martin (24).
New York’s oldest forward tonight will be 29-year-old Frans Nielsen. He’ll be joined by fellow graybeards Colin McDonald, Cal Clutterbuck and Kyle Okposo who, despite being just 25 years old, is one of the oldest forwards on the active roster.
While this has largely been a lost season for the Islanders, all these young players do offer some hope for the future. Nearly all of them have come courtesy the NHL Entry Draft — Bailey and Martin were ’08 draftees, Lee and Cizikas were part of the ’09 draft (which also netted John Tavares and d-man Calvin de Haan), Nelson was a ’10 draftee, Strome and Sundstrom were taken in ’11.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)