Mar 14, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
Berra, who was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, hasn’t played a game yet for the Avalanche and had a 2.95 GAA and .897 save percentage in 29 games with the Calgary Flames.
It caught some people off guard when the Avalanche scarified a second-round pick in order to pry the 27-year-old rookie away from Calgary when they already had Semyon Varlamov and Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
The initial explanation for the trade was that the Avalanche wanted an insurance policy in case Giguere’s back becomes an issue again. It was later revealed that Giguere is also seriously considering retirement and Colorado consequently got Berra with the intention of elevating him to the backup role in 2014-15.
Berra will get his first start with the Colorado Avalanche on March 19, according to the Post’s Adrian Dater.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)