Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
The Eddie Lack-led Canucks fell to the Washington Capitals on Friday, greatly injuring Vancouver’s fading playoff hopes out West. Luongo’s reunion with the Panthers was meant for the 2014-15 season and beyond, but Florida’s 5-3 win against Schneider’s New Jersey Devils greatly damages his former netminding partner’s chances of reaching the postseason as well.
The thing that might sting the most for Schneider, 27, is that tonight’s loss doesn’t really adhere to a near-season-long narrative of New Jersey failing to give him decent goal support. The Devils generated a 3-1 lead but the Panthers stormed back with four unanswered goals to win. They only fired 22 shots on Schneider, so it was a pretty miserable night for him.
Schneider called a game against Luongo “old news,” before the game, but that really might not be the case until his team begins to prevail. As the Miami Herald’s George Richards notes, Luongo is now 3-0 against Schneider this season. This one probably hurts the most, though.
At least they seemed cordial enough before the game.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 10
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 18
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)