Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
The Eddie Lack-led Canucks fell to the Washington Capitals on Friday, greatly injuring Vancouver’s fading playoff hopes out West. Luongo’s reunion with the Panthers was meant for the 2014-15 season and beyond, but Florida’s 5-3 win against Schneider’s New Jersey Devils greatly damages his former netminding partner’s chances of reaching the postseason as well.
The thing that might sting the most for Schneider, 27, is that tonight’s loss doesn’t really adhere to a near-season-long narrative of New Jersey failing to give him decent goal support. The Devils generated a 3-1 lead but the Panthers stormed back with four unanswered goals to win. They only fired 22 shots on Schneider, so it was a pretty miserable night for him.
Schneider called a game against Luongo “old news,” before the game, but that really might not be the case until his team begins to prevail. As the Miami Herald’s George Richards notes, Luongo is now 3-0 against Schneider this season. This one probably hurts the most, though.
At least they seemed cordial enough before the game.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)