Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
The Eddie Lack-led Canucks fell to the Washington Capitals on Friday, greatly injuring Vancouver’s fading playoff hopes out West. Luongo’s reunion with the Panthers was meant for the 2014-15 season and beyond, but Florida’s 5-3 win against Schneider’s New Jersey Devils greatly damages his former netminding partner’s chances of reaching the postseason as well.
The thing that might sting the most for Schneider, 27, is that tonight’s loss doesn’t really adhere to a near-season-long narrative of New Jersey failing to give him decent goal support. The Devils generated a 3-1 lead but the Panthers stormed back with four unanswered goals to win. They only fired 22 shots on Schneider, so it was a pretty miserable night for him.
Schneider called a game against Luongo “old news,” before the game, but that really might not be the case until his team begins to prevail. As the Miami Herald’s George Richards notes, Luongo is now 3-0 against Schneider this season. This one probably hurts the most, though.
At least they seemed cordial enough before the game.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)