Mar 14, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
The Eddie Lack-led Canucks fell to the Washington Capitals on Friday, greatly injuring Vancouver’s fading playoff hopes out West. Luongo’s reunion with the Panthers was meant for the 2014-15 season and beyond, but Florida’s 5-3 win against Schneider’s New Jersey Devils greatly damages his former netminding partner’s chances of reaching the postseason as well.
The thing that might sting the most for Schneider, 27, is that tonight’s loss doesn’t really adhere to a near-season-long narrative of New Jersey failing to give him decent goal support. The Devils generated a 3-1 lead but the Panthers stormed back with four unanswered goals to win. They only fired 22 shots on Schneider, so it was a pretty miserable night for him.
Schneider called a game against Luongo “old news,” before the game, but that really might not be the case until his team begins to prevail. As the Miami Herald’s George Richards notes, Luongo is now 3-0 against Schneider this season. This one probably hurts the most, though.
At least they seemed cordial enough before the game.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)