Mar 14, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
James Reimer began Thursday night’s game on the end of the bench. By the end, he was being mobbed by his teammates.
Reimer was called into action to begin the second period between his Toronto Maple Leafs and the host L.A. Kings, due to a lower-body injury to Jonathan Bernier. And Reimer was spectacular, stopping all 30 shots he faced. He was under siege in the third period as the Kings first looked for the go-ahead goal and then the equalizer.
In the end, the Leafs prevailed for the 3-2 win. That gives Toronto two wins on their three-game road trip through California, which included games against the Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks, in addition to Thursday’s meeting with the Kings.
For the Kings, it ends their winning streak at eight games.
There were some nervous moments before that, as Reimer was shaken up on a collision with Kings’ center Jarret Stoll in the second period.
Reimer was spectacular afterward, particularly in the third period. He robbed Anze Kopitar with the right pad on what looked to be a sure power play goal. Just seconds later, with Toronto on the penalty kill, Leafs’ forward Mason Raymond ripped a slap shot from his off-wing to give the Leafs a 3-2 lead.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)