Mar 14, 2014, 1:31 AM EST
James Reimer began Thursday night’s game on the end of the bench. By the end, he was being mobbed by his teammates.
Reimer was called into action to begin the second period between his Toronto Maple Leafs and the host L.A. Kings, due to a lower-body injury to Jonathan Bernier. And Reimer was spectacular, stopping all 30 shots he faced. He was under siege in the third period as the Kings first looked for the go-ahead goal and then the equalizer.
In the end, the Leafs prevailed for the 3-2 win. That gives Toronto two wins on their three-game road trip through California, which included games against the Anaheim Ducks and San Jose Sharks, in addition to Thursday’s meeting with the Kings.
For the Kings, it ends their winning streak at eight games.
There were some nervous moments before that, as Reimer was shaken up on a collision with Kings’ center Jarret Stoll in the second period.
Reimer was spectacular afterward, particularly in the third period. He robbed Anze Kopitar with the right pad on what looked to be a sure power play goal. Just seconds later, with Toronto on the penalty kill, Leafs’ forward Mason Raymond ripped a slap shot from his off-wing to give the Leafs a 3-2 lead.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)