Mar 14, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
The knee injury Ryan Kesler suffered during Wednesday’s win over Winnipeg will keep him out of action for the foreseeable future, according to Canucks head coach John Tortorella:
Ryan Kesler has a sprained knee and is out “at least a couple of weeks” said Torts. #Canucks
— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) March 14, 2014
Kesler was hurt after colliding with Jets forward Jim Slater late in the second period, immediately left the ice and didn’t return:
Slater received a tripping penalty on the play.
As for Kesler and the Canucks, the injury couldn’t have come at a worse time. The center has been remarkably healthy this season, appearing in 67 of 68 games after missing nearly two-thirds of the ’13 campaign with a shoulder injury and broken right foot.
The 29-year-old leads Vancouver in goals this year, with 22, and is averaging 22:08 TOI per game — most among all NHL forwards.
As such, the Canucks will have a remarkably difficult time filling his void in the lineup…a troubling development, given they were already without the services of Daniel Sedin and are fighting for their playoff lives in the Western Conference. Heading into Friday’s play, they sit four points back of Dallas for the final wild card spot, and are in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)