Mar 14, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
The knee injury Ryan Kesler suffered during Wednesday’s win over Winnipeg will keep him out of action for the foreseeable future, according to Canucks head coach John Tortorella:
Ryan Kesler has a sprained knee and is out “at least a couple of weeks” said Torts. #Canucks
— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) March 14, 2014
Kesler was hurt after colliding with Jets forward Jim Slater late in the second period, immediately left the ice and didn’t return:
Slater received a tripping penalty on the play.
As for Kesler and the Canucks, the injury couldn’t have come at a worse time. The center has been remarkably healthy this season, appearing in 67 of 68 games after missing nearly two-thirds of the ’13 campaign with a shoulder injury and broken right foot.
The 29-year-old leads Vancouver in goals this year, with 22, and is averaging 22:08 TOI per game — most among all NHL forwards.
As such, the Canucks will have a remarkably difficult time filling his void in the lineup…a troubling development, given they were already without the services of Daniel Sedin and are fighting for their playoff lives in the Western Conference. Heading into Friday’s play, they sit four points back of Dallas for the final wild card spot, and are in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time since 2008.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)