Mar 14, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens provided an update about prospect Tim Bozon, who was placed into an induced coma after being in critical condition because of a diagnosed case of bacterial meningitis stemming back to March 1. While Bozon, 19, remains in critical condition and in that induced coma, the team also announced that he’s “stable and improving.”
Here’s the majority of that release from the Habs:
Tim Bozon remains in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon after being admitted on March 1 with Neisseria Meningitis. He remains in ICU however doctors have indicated his condition remains critical but stable and improving. He has been in an induced coma since being admitted to the ICU but doctors are now working to slowly wake him. His family has indicated that Tim has responded to verbal stimuli.
Tim’s parents, Philippe and Helene, have been overwhelmed by the e-mail and social media messages from people around the world showing support for their son. The family is very appreciative and will respond sometime in the near future. The family also wants to express thanks to the doctors and staff at Royal University Hospital for the care Tim has received.
There have been many enquiries from individuals and organizations wanting to make donations to assist the family during this difficult time. The Western Hockey League (WHL) has established a trust fund to assist the Bozon family with medical and rehabilitation costs as insurance coverage is limited. Details regarding the “Tim Bozon Trust” will be released by the WHL later this week.
Montreal made Bozon (pictured on the right) the 64th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft. He put together a nice first season with the WHL’s Kootenay Ice (62 points in 50 games) before his health issues cropped up.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)