Mar 14, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens provided an update about prospect Tim Bozon, who was placed into an induced coma after being in critical condition because of a diagnosed case of bacterial meningitis stemming back to March 1. While Bozon, 19, remains in critical condition and in that induced coma, the team also announced that he’s “stable and improving.”
Here’s the majority of that release from the Habs:
Tim Bozon remains in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon after being admitted on March 1 with Neisseria Meningitis. He remains in ICU however doctors have indicated his condition remains critical but stable and improving. He has been in an induced coma since being admitted to the ICU but doctors are now working to slowly wake him. His family has indicated that Tim has responded to verbal stimuli.
Tim’s parents, Philippe and Helene, have been overwhelmed by the e-mail and social media messages from people around the world showing support for their son. The family is very appreciative and will respond sometime in the near future. The family also wants to express thanks to the doctors and staff at Royal University Hospital for the care Tim has received.
There have been many enquiries from individuals and organizations wanting to make donations to assist the family during this difficult time. The Western Hockey League (WHL) has established a trust fund to assist the Bozon family with medical and rehabilitation costs as insurance coverage is limited. Details regarding the “Tim Bozon Trust” will be released by the WHL later this week.
Montreal made Bozon (pictured on the right) the 64th pick of the 2012 NHL Draft. He put together a nice first season with the WHL’s Kootenay Ice (62 points in 50 games) before his health issues cropped up.
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 4
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 12
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12