Mar 14, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are facing some serious pressure from the San Jose Sharks when it comes to the Pacific Division lead, but they moved back into that top spot with a 6-4 win against the Colorado Avalanche on Friday night.
They also ended a four-game losing streak while Teemu Selanne stopped a six-game pointless drought as they won a wild contest.
Colorado’s newly re-signed John Mitchell scored the only goal of the opening frame while the final one went without a tally, but it was the second period that really raised eyebrows, as the two teams combined for nine goals. The Ducks tied it up and then went behind again 2-1 only to rattle off four straight goals before the Avs generated two goals in about 30 seconds to make it 5-4. Mathieu Perreault ended that nine-goal barrage with an insurance goal at the 19:11 mark of the period.
It’s probably easiest just to look at it in terms of the box score via NHL.com:
Video highlights will be added if a package of those nine goals is made available. Check with PHT’s upcoming West playoff update for other seeding implications from this game.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)