Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Goaltender James Reimer was the hero for the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 3-2 win over Los Angeles last night. Jonathan Bernier got the start against his former team, but he allowed two goals on 10 shots before exiting the game.
His goal was to play through the problem, but that didn’t work out. The severity of the injury isn’t known and the Leafs aren’t sure if they need to recall 30-year-old journeyman goaltender Drew MacIntyre.
While there’s no question that the Maple Leafs would much rather have Bernier getting the majority of the starts at this critical juncture, as Reimer demonstrated last night, he’s capable of holding his own. He served as the Maple Leafs’ starter before they got Bernier and while Reimer’s already been though a lot of rough patches, his presence makes potentially losing Bernier for an extended period less than a disaster.
The Maple Leafs have a comfortable nine-point cushion in the battle for a playoff spot, but they’re still fighting for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)