Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
Goaltender James Reimer was the hero for the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 3-2 win over Los Angeles last night. Jonathan Bernier got the start against his former team, but he allowed two goals on 10 shots before exiting the game.
His goal was to play through the problem, but that didn’t work out. The severity of the injury isn’t known and the Leafs aren’t sure if they need to recall 30-year-old journeyman goaltender Drew MacIntyre.
While there’s no question that the Maple Leafs would much rather have Bernier getting the majority of the starts at this critical juncture, as Reimer demonstrated last night, he’s capable of holding his own. He served as the Maple Leafs’ starter before they got Bernier and while Reimer’s already been though a lot of rough patches, his presence makes potentially losing Bernier for an extended period less than a disaster.
The Maple Leafs have a comfortable nine-point cushion in the battle for a playoff spot, but they’re still fighting for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)