Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Goaltender James Reimer was the hero for the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 3-2 win over Los Angeles last night. Jonathan Bernier got the start against his former team, but he allowed two goals on 10 shots before exiting the game.
His goal was to play through the problem, but that didn’t work out. The severity of the injury isn’t known and the Leafs aren’t sure if they need to recall 30-year-old journeyman goaltender Drew MacIntyre.
While there’s no question that the Maple Leafs would much rather have Bernier getting the majority of the starts at this critical juncture, as Reimer demonstrated last night, he’s capable of holding his own. He served as the Maple Leafs’ starter before they got Bernier and while Reimer’s already been though a lot of rough patches, his presence makes potentially losing Bernier for an extended period less than a disaster.
The Maple Leafs have a comfortable nine-point cushion in the battle for a playoff spot, but they’re still fighting for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)