Mar 14, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Update: Mitchell’s three-year deal is worth $5.4 million overall while Berra gets $4.35 million over three years, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
Mitchell, 29, has 23 points in 65 games as a center for Colorado this season. This is his second year with the Avs.
Berra, 27, was a surprise addition to the fold during the trade deadline, as the Avalanche sent a second-round draft pick to the Calgary Flames for a goalie who’s had an unremarkable start to his NHL career. Executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic backs up the team’s apparent belief in his skills.
“As I mentioned when we acquired Reto, we strongly believe in his abilities,” Sakic said. “He has size and skill and will help solidify our goaltending position for years to come.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)