Mar 14, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Update: Mitchell’s three-year deal is worth $5.4 million overall while Berra gets $4.35 million over three years, according to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater.
Mitchell, 29, has 23 points in 65 games as a center for Colorado this season. This is his second year with the Avs.
Berra, 27, was a surprise addition to the fold during the trade deadline, as the Avalanche sent a second-round draft pick to the Calgary Flames for a goalie who’s had an unremarkable start to his NHL career. Executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic backs up the team’s apparent belief in his skills.
“As I mentioned when we acquired Reto, we strongly believe in his abilities,” Sakic said. “He has size and skill and will help solidify our goaltending position for years to come.”
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54