Mar 13, 2014, 10:50 AM EST
The New York Islanders entered this season with plenty of optimism and will exit it asking what went wrong. The hope now is that their top prospects can provide them with a silver lining in the final weeks of the 2013-14 campaign.
So far at least they have that going for them. Anders Lee, 23, was called up after the Olympic break and has scored five goals and seven points in seven contests. Now, with Michael Grabner (concussion) joining John Tavares (knee) on the sidelines, it looks like Lee will be elevated to the team’s top line.
“I think Anders Lee deserves an opportunity to move up on that line,” Islanders coach Jack Capuano told Newsday.
Unlike Okposo, John Tavares, or more recently Ryan Strome, Lee fell all the way to the sixth round in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. However, he went to Notre Dame where he established himself as one of the NCAA’s top forwards and has 41 points in 54 games in his rookie campaign with the AHL Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (69)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)