Mar 13, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Pittsburgh went all out during the 2013 trade deadline, getting forwards Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow, and Jussi Jokinen as well as defenseman Douglas Murray. That wasn’t enough to earn the Penguins the Stanley Cup though and with the team close to the cap ceiling, they took a subtler approach this time.
Pittsburgh has been interested in acquiring a right winger to pair up with Sidney Crosby and Chris Kunitz since Pascal Dupuis suffered a season-ending knee injury and so far Stempniak has filled that void. He had three assists in Pittsburgh’s back-to-back victories against Washington.
“It’s gone pretty well,” Stempniak told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “The three of us on the bench just have an open dialogue on what each other is thinking.
“Part of if for me is trying not to force the puck to Sid too much. I think the first couple of games I’d get it and try and throw it to him. He’s covered sometimes. He’s a great player, but it’s not always the right play to give it to him.”
Pittsburgh is playing for the Eastern Conference title, but with 17 games left, the Penguins have already essentially secured the Metropolitan Division. That makes this final month more about getting ready for the playoffs than anything else. In Stempniak’s case, it’s an opportunity to get comfortable with the team.
He’s not likely going to be headline-worthy most nights, but if he can compliment Crosby, then Pittsburgh will be very happy with how it did at the deadline.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)