Mar 13, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
In a battle of two Eastern Conference teams well out of the playoff race, Buffalo Sabres goalie Michal Neuvirth gave fans something worth talking about against the Carolina Hurricanes.
Neuvirth saw a constant stream of rubber, forced to make 51 saves, but the Sabres still lost by a final score of 4-2. The Sabres, at the bottom of the Atlantic Division, have now lost four consecutive games. The Hurricanes, 13th in the Eastern Conference and six points out of a playoff spot, have a modest two-game winning streak thanks to Thursday’s result, although they’ve won only three times in their last 10 games.
But the big story on this night was Neuvirth, picked up in a late deal at last week’s trade deadline.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)