Mar 13, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Blue Jackets forward — and the NHL’s reigning second star of the week — Artem Anisimov is not expected to play tonight at home versus San Jose, as he is reportedly with his wife at the hospital as the couple prepares to welcome its first child to this crazy world.
“Arte’s got something more important going on right now than playing hockey,” coach Todd Richards said, per NHL.com. “We’re assuming he’s not going to be in the lineup tonight.”
Update: It’s a girl! (But he still won’t play.)
It’s a big game for Columbus, as all the team’s games will be down the stretch. The Jackets currently occupy third spot in the Metropolitan Division, but have a mere two-point cushion on playoff hopefuls Detroit and New Jersey, two teams on the outside looking in heading into tonight’s action.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8