Mar 13, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Blue Jackets forward — and the NHL’s reigning second star of the week — Artem Anisimov is not expected to play tonight at home versus San Jose, as he is reportedly with his wife at the hospital as the couple prepares to welcome its first child to this crazy world.
“Arte’s got something more important going on right now than playing hockey,” coach Todd Richards said, per NHL.com. “We’re assuming he’s not going to be in the lineup tonight.”
Update: It’s a girl! (But he still won’t play.)
It’s a big game for Columbus, as all the team’s games will be down the stretch. The Jackets currently occupy third spot in the Metropolitan Division, but have a mere two-point cushion on playoff hopefuls Detroit and New Jersey, two teams on the outside looking in heading into tonight’s action.
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 0
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 3
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16