Mar 13, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Blue Jackets forward — and the NHL’s reigning second star of the week — Artem Anisimov is not expected to play tonight at home versus San Jose, as he is reportedly with his wife at the hospital as the couple prepares to welcome its first child to this crazy world.
“Arte’s got something more important going on right now than playing hockey,” coach Todd Richards said, per NHL.com. “We’re assuming he’s not going to be in the lineup tonight.”
Update: It’s a girl! (But he still won’t play.)
It’s a big game for Columbus, as all the team’s games will be down the stretch. The Jackets currently occupy third spot in the Metropolitan Division, but have a mere two-point cushion on playoff hopefuls Detroit and New Jersey, two teams on the outside looking in heading into tonight’s action.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5