Mar 13, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Talk about a dramatic in-season turnaround.
Just months after demanding a trade out of Washington, defenseman Dmitry Orlov has signed a two-year, $4 million extension with the Caps, the club announced on Thursday. The deal will pay $1.75 million next year and $2.25 million the season following.
Orlov, 22, has three goals an nine points in 38 games with the Caps this season, most of which came after his agent expressed frustration about Orlov’s role on the team in late November.
“Obviously, what Dmitry would like is to be traded,” Mark Gandler told CSN Washington. “Because he has no future in Washington whatsoever, zero chance for him. I think his value as a player is diminishing with every day and the team is losing valuable time and also ruining his career.”
Shortly thereafter, Orlov was given a shot in the Washington lineup and showed why the Caps made him the 55th overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (and why, as a 20-year-old, he scored 19 points in 60 games for the Caps during the 2011-12 campaign).
With this signing, Washington GM Geoge McPhee now has three good young d-men locked in ’til 2016 with very reasonable cap hits: Orlov ($2 million), Karl Alzner ($2.8 million) and John Carlson ($3.97 million).
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)