Mar 13, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Talk about a dramatic in-season turnaround.
Just months after demanding a trade out of Washington, defenseman Dmitry Orlov has signed a two-year, $4 million extension with the Caps, the club announced on Thursday. The deal will pay $1.75 million next year and $2.25 million the season following.
Orlov, 22, has three goals an nine points in 38 games with the Caps this season, most of which came after his agent expressed frustration about Orlov’s role on the team in late November.
“Obviously, what Dmitry would like is to be traded,” Mark Gandler told CSN Washington. “Because he has no future in Washington whatsoever, zero chance for him. I think his value as a player is diminishing with every day and the team is losing valuable time and also ruining his career.”
Shortly thereafter, Orlov was given a shot in the Washington lineup and showed why the Caps made him the 55th overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (and why, as a 20-year-old, he scored 19 points in 60 games for the Caps during the 2011-12 campaign).
With this signing, Washington GM Geoge McPhee now has three good young d-men locked in ’til 2016 with very reasonable cap hits: Orlov ($2 million), Karl Alzner ($2.8 million) and John Carlson ($3.97 million).
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)