Mar 13, 2014, 11:48 AM EST
Talk about a dramatic in-season turnaround.
Just months after demanding a trade out of Washington, defenseman Dmitry Orlov has signed a two-year, $4 million extension with the Caps, the club announced on Thursday. The deal will pay $1.75 million next year and $2.25 million the season following.
Orlov, 22, has three goals an nine points in 38 games with the Caps this season, most of which came after his agent expressed frustration about Orlov’s role on the team in late November.
“Obviously, what Dmitry would like is to be traded,” Mark Gandler told CSN Washington. “Because he has no future in Washington whatsoever, zero chance for him. I think his value as a player is diminishing with every day and the team is losing valuable time and also ruining his career.”
Shortly thereafter, Orlov was given a shot in the Washington lineup and showed why the Caps made him the 55th overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (and why, as a 20-year-old, he scored 19 points in 60 games for the Caps during the 2011-12 campaign).
With this signing, Washington GM Geoge McPhee now has three good young d-men locked in ’til 2016 with very reasonable cap hits: Orlov ($2 million), Karl Alzner ($2.8 million) and John Carlson ($3.97 million).
- Devils fire DeBoer 5
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 8
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)