Mar 13, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Talk about a dramatic in-season turnaround.
Just months after demanding a trade out of Washington, defenseman Dmitry Orlov has signed a two-year, $4 million extension with the Caps, the club announced on Thursday. The deal will pay $1.75 million next year and $2.25 million the season following.
Orlov, 22, has three goals an nine points in 38 games with the Caps this season, most of which came after his agent expressed frustration about Orlov’s role on the team in late November.
“Obviously, what Dmitry would like is to be traded,” Mark Gandler told CSN Washington. “Because he has no future in Washington whatsoever, zero chance for him. I think his value as a player is diminishing with every day and the team is losing valuable time and also ruining his career.”
Shortly thereafter, Orlov was given a shot in the Washington lineup and showed why the Caps made him the 55th overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft (and why, as a 20-year-old, he scored 19 points in 60 games for the Caps during the 2011-12 campaign).
With this signing, Washington GM Geoge McPhee now has three good young d-men locked in ’til 2016 with very reasonable cap hits: Orlov ($2 million), Karl Alzner ($2.8 million) and John Carlson ($3.97 million).
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)