Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
To hear Ryan Callahan explain it, he knew the possibility of playing somewhere other than New York was out there — he just never thought it’d come to fruition.
“Yeah, I wanted to stay there. I thought I was going to. The whole time in my head I never thought about getting traded or leaving at free agency time,” Callahan told New York’s WFAN Radio on Wednesday. “My goal was to get something done with New York.
“Unfortunately, it’s the part of the business that’s not fun.”
Callahan was flipped to Tampa Bay at last Wednesday’s deadline in exchange for Martin St. Louis, a blockbuster that marked the first captain-for-captain deal in trade deadline history. Reports claimed a rift between Rangers GM Glen Sather and Callahan’s camp regarding money and term on a new contract led to the deal — Callahan is a UFA at season’s end — but recent remarks suggest he always figured he’d stick around.
Callahan had worn the “C” in New York since inheriting it from Chris Drury at the start of the 2011-12 campaign, and it’s worth noting that serving as Rangers captain is serious business. Callahan was one of just five players to serve over the last 23 years, joining the likes of Drury, Mark Messier, Jaromir Jagr and Brian Leetch.
Because of that, it’s easy to see why Callahan thought he’d be a Ranger for years to come. At 28, he’d already spent his first seven NHL seasons in the Big Apple and endeared himself to fans with his gritty, hard-working style of play.
“Just from playing at the Garden, the fans there are just unbelievable; you know, how they treated me and how they accepted me,” Callahan explained. “I think the biggest thing always if the friends I’ve made, lifelong friends within the organization, teammates that I’ve played with.
“There’s a lot of good memories in New York and something I’ll miss.”
Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Zdeno Chara’s advancing age is one reason for Bruins fans to worry.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Devils coach Pete DeBoer says they’re still dating.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli addressed the media today in Boston.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 0
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)