Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
If you were wondering why the Colorado Avalanche traded for goalie Reto Berra at the deadline, it’s likely because Jean-Sebastien Giguere is talking about retiring after the season. Quite the career for the former Hartford Whalers netminder and Conn Smythe Trophy winner. (The Denver Post)
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Wednesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $800. Starts Wednesday at 7:30pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Chances are if you’re on Twitter or Facebook you may have seen a meme going around declaring why Rich Peverley and hockey players are tougher than LeBron James and basketball players. Here’s a great take on why those things are ridiculous to take seriously. (The National Post)
Are you ready for sponsors on NHL jerseys? Oh, you’re not? Well, you’d better be prepared for it then because it’s only a matter of time. (Toronto Star)
Mental mistakes are just killing the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Tampa Tribune)
Remember when the Buffalo Sabres were looking at Lake Superior State coach Jim Roque to be an assistant coach for Ron Rolston? LSSU isn’t renewing his contract after nine seasons there. (LSSU Athletics)
Finally… What’s that you say? You want to see the San Jose Sharks mascot Sharkie chomping on the head of former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice? You are in luck.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)