Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
If you were wondering why the Colorado Avalanche traded for goalie Reto Berra at the deadline, it’s likely because Jean-Sebastien Giguere is talking about retiring after the season. Quite the career for the former Hartford Whalers netminder and Conn Smythe Trophy winner. (The Denver Post)
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Wednesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $800. Starts Wednesday at 7:30pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Chances are if you’re on Twitter or Facebook you may have seen a meme going around declaring why Rich Peverley and hockey players are tougher than LeBron James and basketball players. Here’s a great take on why those things are ridiculous to take seriously. (The National Post)
Are you ready for sponsors on NHL jerseys? Oh, you’re not? Well, you’d better be prepared for it then because it’s only a matter of time. (Toronto Star)
Mental mistakes are just killing the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Tampa Tribune)
Remember when the Buffalo Sabres were looking at Lake Superior State coach Jim Roque to be an assistant coach for Ron Rolston? LSSU isn’t renewing his contract after nine seasons there. (LSSU Athletics)
Finally… What’s that you say? You want to see the San Jose Sharks mascot Sharkie chomping on the head of former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice? You are in luck.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)