Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
If you were wondering why the Colorado Avalanche traded for goalie Reto Berra at the deadline, it’s likely because Jean-Sebastien Giguere is talking about retiring after the season. Quite the career for the former Hartford Whalers netminder and Conn Smythe Trophy winner. (The Denver Post)
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Wednesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $800. Starts Wednesday at 7:30pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Chances are if you’re on Twitter or Facebook you may have seen a meme going around declaring why Rich Peverley and hockey players are tougher than LeBron James and basketball players. Here’s a great take on why those things are ridiculous to take seriously. (The National Post)
Are you ready for sponsors on NHL jerseys? Oh, you’re not? Well, you’d better be prepared for it then because it’s only a matter of time. (Toronto Star)
Mental mistakes are just killing the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Tampa Tribune)
Remember when the Buffalo Sabres were looking at Lake Superior State coach Jim Roque to be an assistant coach for Ron Rolston? LSSU isn’t renewing his contract after nine seasons there. (LSSU Athletics)
Finally… What’s that you say? You want to see the San Jose Sharks mascot Sharkie chomping on the head of former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice? You are in luck.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 17
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 47
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)