Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
If you were wondering why the Colorado Avalanche traded for goalie Reto Berra at the deadline, it’s likely because Jean-Sebastien Giguere is talking about retiring after the season. Quite the career for the former Hartford Whalers netminder and Conn Smythe Trophy winner. (The Denver Post)
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $3,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Wednesday night’s NHL games. It’s just $25 to join and first prize is $800. Starts Wednesday at 7:30pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Chances are if you’re on Twitter or Facebook you may have seen a meme going around declaring why Rich Peverley and hockey players are tougher than LeBron James and basketball players. Here’s a great take on why those things are ridiculous to take seriously. (The National Post)
Are you ready for sponsors on NHL jerseys? Oh, you’re not? Well, you’d better be prepared for it then because it’s only a matter of time. (Toronto Star)
Mental mistakes are just killing the Tampa Bay Lightning. (Tampa Tribune)
Remember when the Buffalo Sabres were looking at Lake Superior State coach Jim Roque to be an assistant coach for Ron Rolston? LSSU isn’t renewing his contract after nine seasons there. (LSSU Athletics)
Finally… What’s that you say? You want to see the San Jose Sharks mascot Sharkie chomping on the head of former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice? You are in luck.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)