Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
Tuesday seems like it’s shaping up to be a rough night for the Toronto Maple Leafs, though it also seems like it could have been worse.
At the moment, they’re down 5-1. (One would say they’re about to lose but see: Canucks, Vancouver.) They also almost lost James van Riemsdyk, and worse yet, to a hit by his own teammate Dion Phaneuf. Leafs Nation shared a GIF of the hit from Sportsnet’s footage:
Manny Elk captured the moment of impact:
JVR went to the Leafs locker room for some time, but the good news is that he returned to Toronto’s bench. That doesn’t mean he’s out of the woods altogether – players come back quickly from injuries only to miss more time in plenty of instances – but at the moment it seems like it might be a dodged bullet.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2