Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EST
Tuesday seems like it’s shaping up to be a rough night for the Toronto Maple Leafs, though it also seems like it could have been worse.
At the moment, they’re down 5-1. (One would say they’re about to lose but see: Canucks, Vancouver.) They also almost lost James van Riemsdyk, and worse yet, to a hit by his own teammate Dion Phaneuf. Leafs Nation shared a GIF of the hit from Sportsnet’s footage:
Manny Elk captured the moment of impact:
JVR went to the Leafs locker room for some time, but the good news is that he returned to Toronto’s bench. That doesn’t mean he’s out of the woods altogether – players come back quickly from injuries only to miss more time in plenty of instances – but at the moment it seems like it might be a dodged bullet.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 19
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5