Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
Tuesday seems like it’s shaping up to be a rough night for the Toronto Maple Leafs, though it also seems like it could have been worse.
At the moment, they’re down 5-1. (One would say they’re about to lose but see: Canucks, Vancouver.) They also almost lost James van Riemsdyk, and worse yet, to a hit by his own teammate Dion Phaneuf. Leafs Nation shared a GIF of the hit from Sportsnet’s footage:
Manny Elk captured the moment of impact:
JVR went to the Leafs locker room for some time, but the good news is that he returned to Toronto’s bench. That doesn’t mean he’s out of the woods altogether – players come back quickly from injuries only to miss more time in plenty of instances – but at the moment it seems like it might be a dodged bullet.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5