Mar 12, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Anybody expecting big developments out of this year’s NHL general manager meetings — this update is not for you.
“There are no major announcements or major changes,” NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said after three days of meetings in Boca Raton, Fla. “There will be some recommendations, some things people will look at, there will be some more homework done, but you should continue to enjoy the game principally the way it’s being played.”
Prior to the meetings there was speculation a number of fundamental changes could be on the table, including a potential overhaul of overtime and shootout procedures. What the GMs left with, however, were a few minor tweaks and suggestions — namely, subtle changes to faceoffs and the changing of ends in OT.
Other minor ideas that may be implemented moving forward:
– GMs expressed interest in seeing more kicked-in goals allowed. NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly noted this is a rules-interpretation issue; therefore, it doesn’t require approval from the Competition Committee.
– Apparently, analyzing prospects outside the annual NHL Draft Combine has been a bone of contention among GMs, and they’re looking to address it. Here’s more, from NHL.com:
GMs are concerned that teams are bringing in too many prospects for medical testing and interviews in the time after the official scouting combine run by NHL Central Scouting, which takes place in Toronto in late May.
Washington Capitals GM George McPhee said the combine was designed so prospects didn’t have to visit multiple teams.
“We originally came up with a combine to streamline that and have all the players go to one place, work out and you get the results,” McPhee said. “We’ve improved the combine over the years to make sure we’re getting the results we need.
“Ideally what we want is one combine where everybody gets their information and it’s equal for [all] teams.”
Finally, it’s worth noting GMs received Bettman and Daly’s review of the 2014 Sochi Olympics, but the issue of future participation wasn’t actually discussed. Daly stated in February that the NHL expects to come to a decision within six months.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)