Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Sportsnet’s Mark Spector has written a thought-provoking column on billionaire Pierre Karl Peladeau, who we’ve referenced previously on the pages of PHT as the potential, if not likely, owner of an NHL expansion team in Quebec City.
If you like expansion speculation, the column’s worth a read, because if you didn’t hear, Peladeau just announced his candidacy for election with the Parti Québécois, a provincial party that advocates the separation of Quebec from Canada.
In the past, NHL owners have made some curious decisions when it comes to whom they award franchises to. In Peladeau’s case, his political leanings could hurt the Canadian dollar, either in the short or long term. That would cost NHL owners money, plain and simple, and could cost the owners in Montreal a boatload of money.
Will the current 30 owners want a man in their midst whose every political move could devalue their own franchise? A man whose market would slot in as one of the smaller ones in the NHL, and a decent candidate to be on the wrong side of revenue sharing within the decade?
Translation: Peladeau’s political aspirations may be bad news for hockey fans in Quebec, and good news for hockey fans in Seattle and Las Vegas.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)