Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EST
Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin will set a career milestone tonight in Winnipeg, playing in game No. 1,000 of his impressive NHL career.
Sedin, 33, will become just the 10th Swedish player in NHL history to attain the feat, joining the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom, Mats Sundin, Daniel Alfredsson, Borje Salming, Markus Naslund, Calle Johansson, Ulf Samuelsson, Tomas Holmstrom and Fredrik Olausson.
The third overall pick at the ’99 NHL Entry Draft — twin brother Daniel went second — Henrik has spent his entire 14-year career in Vancouver and has emerged as one of the greatest players in franchise history, becoming the first-ever Canuck to capture a Hart Trophy (in 2011) while emerging as the club’s all-time leading scorer.
Unfortunately for Henrik, this accomplishment comes during one of the toughest spells of his career. The Canucks are in free-fall mode, winning just four times in their last 17 games and dropping to 10th in the Western Conference as a result.
“Right now, it’s tough to think about it as a celebration, looking at where we are in the standings and looking at what we’re going through,” Sedin told the Globe and Mail. “Maybe after the season or maybe further down the line.
“It’s a different kind of feeling than it would have been (if we were) winning (consistently) or going into the final stretch knowing you were going to be in the playoffs.”
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 2
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)