Mar 12, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
Calgary will get a much-needed veteran presence back in the lineup tonight versus Anaheim as Curtis Glencross will play for the first time since Dec. 21.
The 31-year-old winger has missed the last 29 games with a high ankle sprain, his second significant injury of the season. Earlier, he missed 15 games after suffering a second-degree MCL sprain — all told, Glencross has appeared in just 21 games this year, scoring six goals and 12 points.
The Flames have been rolling with a slew of rookies recently — they iced as many as eight for a couple of games last week — so getting Glencross back is a big deal. He scored 50 goals for Calgary between 2010-12 and serves as one of the club’s alternate captains.
“Anytime you come back you want to start right back up where you left off,” Glencross said, per NHL.com. “Things were just starting to get rolling again when I got hurt there in Pittsburgh. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to get back the timing.
“Hopefully we can get the bugs out of the way early and hopefully get better and better as we go on.”
Even with Glencross back in the mix, Clgary is still without the likes of veterans David Jones (upper body), Jiri Hudler (lower body), Dennis Wideman (upper body), Karri Ramo (lower body) and Matt Stajan (personal).
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)