Mar 12, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
Calgary will get a much-needed veteran presence back in the lineup tonight versus Anaheim as Curtis Glencross will play for the first time since Dec. 21.
The 31-year-old winger has missed the last 29 games with a high ankle sprain, his second significant injury of the season. Earlier, he missed 15 games after suffering a second-degree MCL sprain — all told, Glencross has appeared in just 21 games this year, scoring six goals and 12 points.
The Flames have been rolling with a slew of rookies recently — they iced as many as eight for a couple of games last week — so getting Glencross back is a big deal. He scored 50 goals for Calgary between 2010-12 and serves as one of the club’s alternate captains.
“Anytime you come back you want to start right back up where you left off,” Glencross said, per NHL.com. “Things were just starting to get rolling again when I got hurt there in Pittsburgh. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long to get back the timing.
“Hopefully we can get the bugs out of the way early and hopefully get better and better as we go on.”
Even with Glencross back in the mix, Clgary is still without the likes of veterans David Jones (upper body), Jiri Hudler (lower body), Dennis Wideman (upper body), Karri Ramo (lower body) and Matt Stajan (personal).
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)