Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
OK, so an outright loss tonight in Columbus wouldn’t totally kill the Red Wings’ chances of making the playoffs for the 23rd straight time, but it would definitely hurt them. Badly.
Consider: if Columbus wins tonight in regulation, the Blue Jackets would move two points up on Detroit for the final wild-card spot in the East, with both teams having 17 games remaining. However, that lead would essentially be three points, because the Jackets would hold a 30-25 lead in regulation/overtime wins, the tiebreaker.
“Biggest game, really, if you think about it right now after losing that one to the Rangers,” defenseman Brendan Smith said, per MLive.com. “We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing.”
Indeed, if the Wings win in regulation, it puts Columbus in a tough position, though the Jackets would still hold what could very well be the all-important tie-breaker.
PS — No, we’re not convinced Tampa Bay is a lock for the other wild-card spot. Not the way the Lightning have been playing lately, that’s for sure.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 1
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)