Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
There are plenty of disallowed goals that draw controversy in the NHL. As Tuesday showed, quite a few leave players uttering expletives after the game.
Specifically, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was … more than displeased about a disallowed goal in a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils.
Here’s the goal that wasn’t:
Now, Voracek’s reaction:
The NHL.com Situation Room Blog provided this explanation:
At 19:20 of the third period in the New Jersey Devils/Philadelphia Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the New Jersey net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Philadelphia’s Scott Hartnell pushed goaltender Martin Brodeur across the goal line with the puck. According to Rule 78.5 (ix) “Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty and no goal Philadelphia.
The Flyers missed out on a huge goal, but San Jose Sharks fans were probably on edge when a second goal was under review in under two minutes against the Toronto Maple Leafs. For the sake of peace, the second counted, though.
At 9:37 of the first period in the Toronto Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Toronto net. The referee informed the Situation Room that he was in the process of blowing his whistle to stop play while the puck was under James Reimer‘s body in the crease. According to Rule 78.5, apparent goals shall be disallowed “when the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no goal San Jose.
At 11:04 of the first period in the Toronto Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks game, the Situation Room informed the referee that Brent Burns‘ shot crossed the Toronto goal line. Good goal San Jose.
Video of those situations will be added to this post when/if they become available.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)