Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
There are plenty of disallowed goals that draw controversy in the NHL. As Tuesday showed, quite a few leave players uttering expletives after the game.
Specifically, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was … more than displeased about a disallowed goal in a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils.
Here’s the goal that wasn’t:
Now, Voracek’s reaction:
The NHL.com Situation Room Blog provided this explanation:
At 19:20 of the third period in the New Jersey Devils/Philadelphia Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the New Jersey net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Philadelphia’s Scott Hartnell pushed goaltender Martin Brodeur across the goal line with the puck. According to Rule 78.5 (ix) “Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty and no goal Philadelphia.
The Flyers missed out on a huge goal, but San Jose Sharks fans were probably on edge when a second goal was under review in under two minutes against the Toronto Maple Leafs. For the sake of peace, the second counted, though.
At 9:37 of the first period in the Toronto Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Toronto net. The referee informed the Situation Room that he was in the process of blowing his whistle to stop play while the puck was under James Reimer‘s body in the crease. According to Rule 78.5, apparent goals shall be disallowed “when the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no goal San Jose.
At 11:04 of the first period in the Toronto Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks game, the Situation Room informed the referee that Brent Burns‘ shot crossed the Toronto goal line. Good goal San Jose.
Video of those situations will be added to this post when/if they become available.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)