Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
There are plenty of disallowed goals that draw controversy in the NHL. As Tuesday showed, quite a few leave players uttering expletives after the game.
Specifically, Philadelphia Flyers forward Jakub Voracek was … more than displeased about a disallowed goal in a 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils.
Here’s the goal that wasn’t:
Now, Voracek’s reaction:
The NHL.com Situation Room Blog provided this explanation:
At 19:20 of the third period in the New Jersey Devils/Philadelphia Flyers game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the New Jersey net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Philadelphia’s Scott Hartnell pushed goaltender Martin Brodeur across the goal line with the puck. According to Rule 78.5 (ix) “Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee when a goaltender has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty and no goal Philadelphia.
The Flyers missed out on a huge goal, but San Jose Sharks fans were probably on edge when a second goal was under review in under two minutes against the Toronto Maple Leafs. For the sake of peace, the second counted, though.
At 9:37 of the first period in the Toronto Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Toronto net. The referee informed the Situation Room that he was in the process of blowing his whistle to stop play while the puck was under James Reimer‘s body in the crease. According to Rule 78.5, apparent goals shall be disallowed “when the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.” This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no goal San Jose.
At 11:04 of the first period in the Toronto Maple Leafs/San Jose Sharks game, the Situation Room informed the referee that Brent Burns‘ shot crossed the Toronto goal line. Good goal San Jose.
Video of those situations will be added to this post when/if they become available.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)