Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EST
Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis might need to send out another letter to embattled fans after the latest bit of soul-crushing drama for this team.
The Canucks took a 3-0 lead into a third period with things looking up – hey, Henrik Sedin finally scored! – yet that all came crumbling down as the Isles out-scored the Canucks 7-1 in a third period that almost seems like it could only happen to this Vancouver team.
Of note: the Islanders tied a franchise record with three power-play goals while the Canucks tied a dubious franchise record by allowing seven goals in a single period.
A closer look at that meltdown
For the sake of space and slower Internet connections, let’s throw out video of the lone Canucks goal (Christopher Tanev, which briefly tied things up) and the seventh Islanders goal (because it was an empty-netter) and glance at the six Islanders goals of note.
First, here are the three goals that tied things up.
Josh Bailey began the turnaround 1:13 into the third:
The three-minute mark was perhaps the ugliest. Ryan Strome scored at the 3:14 mark and then Calvin de Haan briefly tied things up 22 seconds later:
At the 6:22 mark, Frans Nielsen scored his 20th goal of the season to give the Islanders a 4-3 lead that lasted about three and a half minutes:
Again, Tanev made it 4-4, but Matt Martin scored the game-winner just 10 seconds later (10:04 into the third):
Anders Lee made it 6-4 not that much later (11:45 into the final frame, to be exact):
And then Clutterbuck scored that empty-netter.
So, beyond those franchise record-tying stats mentioned earlier, here are a couple other quick notes from that mind-numbing third period:
- The Islanders scored four goals to make it 4-3 in less than five and a half minutes
- The Canucks tied it … for 10 seconds.
- New York’s game-winning and insurance goals came about a minute and a half apart.
- Lack allowed six goals on 15 shots.
After a recent loss, Kevin Bieksa wondered “if this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is.” That answer is pretty clear after this loss.
(At least they hope so.)
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)