Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis might need to send out another letter to embattled fans after the latest bit of soul-crushing drama for this team.
The Canucks took a 3-0 lead into a third period with things looking up – hey, Henrik Sedin finally scored! – yet that all came crumbling down as the Isles out-scored the Canucks 7-1 in a third period that almost seems like it could only happen to this Vancouver team.
Of note: the Islanders tied a franchise record with three power-play goals while the Canucks tied a dubious franchise record by allowing seven goals in a single period.
A closer look at that meltdown
For the sake of space and slower Internet connections, let’s throw out video of the lone Canucks goal (Christopher Tanev, which briefly tied things up) and the seventh Islanders goal (because it was an empty-netter) and glance at the six Islanders goals of note.
First, here are the three goals that tied things up.
Josh Bailey began the turnaround 1:13 into the third:
The three-minute mark was perhaps the ugliest. Ryan Strome scored at the 3:14 mark and then Calvin de Haan briefly tied things up 22 seconds later:
At the 6:22 mark, Frans Nielsen scored his 20th goal of the season to give the Islanders a 4-3 lead that lasted about three and a half minutes:
Again, Tanev made it 4-4, but Matt Martin scored the game-winner just 10 seconds later (10:04 into the third):
Anders Lee made it 6-4 not that much later (11:45 into the final frame, to be exact):
And then Clutterbuck scored that empty-netter.
So, beyond those franchise record-tying stats mentioned earlier, here are a couple other quick notes from that mind-numbing third period:
- The Islanders scored four goals to make it 4-3 in less than five and a half minutes
- The Canucks tied it … for 10 seconds.
- New York’s game-winning and insurance goals came about a minute and a half apart.
- Lack allowed six goals on 15 shots.
After a recent loss, Kevin Bieksa wondered “if this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is.” That answer is pretty clear after this loss.
(At least they hope so.)
Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”
Apr 1, 2015, 12:52 PM EDT
After posting three straight 20-goal seasons.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:08 PM EDT
As most expected.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
Has it been 12 weeks already?
Apr 1, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Currently playing for the Kingston Frontenacs.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Sounds like Ty Rattie is on his way up from the AHL.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
New York’s first-round pick in 2012 will reportedly join AHL Hartford.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:56 AM EDT
Vancouver forward was given a five-minute interference major on the play.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Caps Radio 24/7 provides “a sense of community among our fan base, with players and fans alike contributing to its content.”
Apr 1, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Understatement: the odds are against both teams.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Philly’s beaten its local rival six times in a row.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Also: Alex Ovechkin’s peerless goal-scoring work and other links.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
Florida had the lead in the third period.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22