Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Even at 38 years old, Kimmo Timonen is a huge part of the Flyers. The Finnish defenseman logs over 20 minutes per game and leads all Philadelphia blue-liners with 16 power-play assists.
He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent, a status that has led to questions about his plans for the future. Will he keep playing or will he retire after this season?
For now, Timonen says he’s leaving his options open, the most important factor in his decision being what happens in the playoffs.
“Winning the Stanley Cup, that’s obviously the biggest one,” he said, per CSN Philly. “But I still want to play at a high level, and I have to figure out during the summer if I’m still in good shape.”
Regardless of whether he retires or plays one or even two more years, the Flyers will need to address their blue line — one you could easily argue is still adjusting to the loss of Chris Pronger — at some point soon.
It’s presumed management will attempt to re-sign recently acquired Andrew MacDonald, also a pending UFA. But even if that happens and Timonen commits to another year, don’t be surprised if the Flyers come up in trade speculation regarding any available top-4 d-men in the offseason, including names like Dustin Byfuglien out of Winnipeg, or Alex Edler out of Vancouver.
Per CapGeek, here’s how the Philly blue line looks right now:
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)