Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are in a situation where every game really counts, so they didn’t get much time to shake off Rich Peverley‘s scary collapse, even with Monday’s game postponed. Remarkably, they hopped on a plane and beat the Blues in St. Louis one day after that frightening moment, giving Ryan Miller his first loss with the team via a Jamie Benn 3-2 overtime game-winner.
Despite that success, there’s no doubt that the Stars and their fans had the 31-year-old forward in their hearts and minds tonight.
Along with giving Miller his first defeat with his new team, this also ends a five-game winning streak for the Blues. The Stars now have a tenuous hold on the second Western Conference wild card spot with this win.
It’s also worth noting that Tim Thomas seems to be fitting in well early on, as he stopped 28 out of 30 shots for (strangely) his first full start for Dallas. He earned his first win as a Stars goalie in relief of Kari Lehtonen and then saw a game ended early on Monday after being traded from the Florida Panthers … so it’s been a tumultuous week for him, too.
Update: Here is how the West playoff outlook shakes out after Tuesday’s games:
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (73)