Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are in a situation where every game really counts, so they didn’t get much time to shake off Rich Peverley‘s scary collapse, even with Monday’s game postponed. Remarkably, they hopped on a plane and beat the Blues in St. Louis one day after that frightening moment, giving Ryan Miller his first loss with the team via a Jamie Benn 3-2 overtime game-winner.
Despite that success, there’s no doubt that the Stars and their fans had the 31-year-old forward in their hearts and minds tonight.
Along with giving Miller his first defeat with his new team, this also ends a five-game winning streak for the Blues. The Stars now have a tenuous hold on the second Western Conference wild card spot with this win.
It’s also worth noting that Tim Thomas seems to be fitting in well early on, as he stopped 28 out of 30 shots for (strangely) his first full start for Dallas. He earned his first win as a Stars goalie in relief of Kari Lehtonen and then saw a game ended early on Monday after being traded from the Florida Panthers … so it’s been a tumultuous week for him, too.
Update: Here is how the West playoff outlook shakes out after Tuesday’s games:
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)