Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
A busy Monday is over, with a scary moment and stunning meltdown (understandably) dominating the headlines. Here’s a quick look at some of the other interesting developments from today’s games in convenient conference-by-conference formats.
(A potentially important game between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Dallas Stars was postponed.)
- If you’re putting together a list of the hottest teams in the NHL, it shouldn’t begin and end with the St. Louis Blues alone. The Los Angeles Kings are now on an eight-game winning streak even though Marian Gaborik remains pointless on his new team. Markus Granlund was injured.
- The Phoenix Coyotes beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3 via a shootout. It was a big win, but in case you’re wondering why Mike Smith was so pumped up, remember that he’s a former member of the Bolts.
- The Colorado Avalanche shook off injuries to beat the Winnipeg Jets in OT, leaving them one point behind Chicago for second in the Central Division. They face the Blackhawks in a big game on Wednesday.
- The Vancouver Canucks, well … you probably know.
Here’s a look at the West from a wild card and divisional standpoint, via NHL.com:
- Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle got some revenge against his former team in Anaheim with a 3-1 win, keeping the Ducks from going to the top of the NHL and West (as you can see above). The Buds jump above Montreal for second in the Atlantic Division in the process.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins thwarted the Washington Capitals’ attempt to jump into the wild card ranks (Columbus remains in that duo despite its game being postponed) by a score of 3-2. Pittsburgh topped Boston for first in the East. Could these two teams trade that lead for the remainder of the season?
- The Ottawa Senators erase a 3-0 deficit against Nashville to at least get a point via a 4-3 OT loss to the Predators. As mentioned before, Tampa Bay gets a “charity point” too.
Here’s the East picture via NHL.com:
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)