Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
A busy Monday is over, with a scary moment and stunning meltdown (understandably) dominating the headlines. Here’s a quick look at some of the other interesting developments from today’s games in convenient conference-by-conference formats.
(A potentially important game between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Dallas Stars was postponed.)
- If you’re putting together a list of the hottest teams in the NHL, it shouldn’t begin and end with the St. Louis Blues alone. The Los Angeles Kings are now on an eight-game winning streak even though Marian Gaborik remains pointless on his new team. Markus Granlund was injured.
- The Phoenix Coyotes beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3 via a shootout. It was a big win, but in case you’re wondering why Mike Smith was so pumped up, remember that he’s a former member of the Bolts.
- The Colorado Avalanche shook off injuries to beat the Winnipeg Jets in OT, leaving them one point behind Chicago for second in the Central Division. They face the Blackhawks in a big game on Wednesday.
- The Vancouver Canucks, well … you probably know.
Here’s a look at the West from a wild card and divisional standpoint, via NHL.com:
- Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle got some revenge against his former team in Anaheim with a 3-1 win, keeping the Ducks from going to the top of the NHL and West (as you can see above). The Buds jump above Montreal for second in the Atlantic Division in the process.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins thwarted the Washington Capitals’ attempt to jump into the wild card ranks (Columbus remains in that duo despite its game being postponed) by a score of 3-2. Pittsburgh topped Boston for first in the East. Could these two teams trade that lead for the remainder of the season?
- The Ottawa Senators erase a 3-0 deficit against Nashville to at least get a point via a 4-3 OT loss to the Predators. As mentioned before, Tampa Bay gets a “charity point” too.
Here’s the East picture via NHL.com:
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)