Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
To hear Bruce Boudreau explain it, Monday night’s 3-1 loss to Toronto was deja vu all over again.
“We went over everything,” Boudreau said, per the L.A. Times. “Everything they do, we went over. Then, we still make the same mistakes.”
The 3-1 loss to Toronto was Anaheim’s third in a row and sixth in its last 10. Boudreau described his club’s recent play as a “funk” and, judging by the schedule, it’s easy to see when the funk started (which sounds like a Bootsy Collins lyric, but I digress):
— On Jan. 15, the Ducks pounded Vancouver 9-1 for their eighth straight victory, putting them at 36-8-5 on the year and first in the NHL.
— Since then, the Ducks have gone 7-7-2 and a startling 4-6-2 at the Honda Center, a place where they normally terrorize opponents (remember, Anaheim started the year 20-0-2 at home).
A big reason for this failing? The power play. A unit you’d expect to thrive with the likes of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry has failed to click of late, scoring just once in its last 19 opportunities. Offense in general has been an issue for the Ducks since the beginning of February, as they have 19 goals in nine games — an average of 2.1 per.
All that said, don’t expect the Ducks to keep struggling.
The schedule maker was very kind to Anaheim with regards to the stretch drive, as the Ducks play the majority of their games against teams on the outside of the playoff picture. That includes five contests against the Alberta teams (Calgary x2, Edmonton x3), two against the Canucks (who the Ducks are unbeaten against and have outscored 16-5) and single affairs against Washington, Florida, Winnipeg and Nashville.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)