Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EST
Chris Stewart, who suffered an ankle injury last week against Tampa Bay, will likely miss the remainder of the year with the ailment, according to Sabres head coach Ted Nolan.
“Stewart doesn’t look good right now,” Nolan said, per the Buffalo News. “There are only five weeks left in the year and his injury is four-to-five weeks.”
Stewart, 26, appeared in just two games for the Sabres after coming over from St. Louis in a pre-deadline blockbuster. While the other key acquisition in the deal, Jaroslav Halak, has since been flipped to Washington, the Sabres held onto Stewart, who has one year remaining on his deal (with a $4.15 million cap hit) and could be a good fit for the club moving forward.
The book on Stewart is a familiar one. He’s a big-bodied power forward (6-foot-2, 231 pounds) that’s displayed a nose for goal in the past, but has seen his effort and consistency called into question on numerous occasions. It’s the same knock many physical forwards get — think Dustin Penner, Bryan Bickell, Todd Beruzzi — though with Stewart, the fact he’s only 26 is key.
Nolan has shown an ability to motivate players in the past, and could light a fire under Stewart — remember, this is a guy that scored 56 goals between 2009-11, so the talent is definitely there.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)