Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EST
It was one of the major criticisms of head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov after his Russian national team flopped in the Sochi Olympics — star forwards Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin were never split up, despite an apparent lack of chemistry.
Last night, in an interview with Yahoo! Sports, Malkin agreed with the critics; however, he didn’t think it was worth discussing anymore.
“We don’t have chemistry,” said Malkin. “We should have been probably moved [to different lines]. Why talk about it now? Of course we didn’t show the type of a game we are capable of. Certain changes to the lines should have been made probably. But yes, it seems there is no chemistry between us. We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Malkin also said he still thinks about the Olympic disappointment every day, and that despite the rumors, there was no “rift” between him and Ovechkin.
Malkin’s Penguins take on Ovechkin’s Capitals tonight in Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
Related: Five theories why the Russians lost
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 57
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)