Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
It was one of the major criticisms of head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov after his Russian national team flopped in the Sochi Olympics — star forwards Evgeni Malkin and Alex Ovechkin were never split up, despite an apparent lack of chemistry.
Last night, in an interview with Yahoo! Sports, Malkin agreed with the critics; however, he didn’t think it was worth discussing anymore.
“We don’t have chemistry,” said Malkin. “We should have been probably moved [to different lines]. Why talk about it now? Of course we didn’t show the type of a game we are capable of. Certain changes to the lines should have been made probably. But yes, it seems there is no chemistry between us. We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Malkin also said he still thinks about the Olympic disappointment every day, and that despite the rumors, there was no “rift” between him and Ovechkin.
Malkin’s Penguins take on Ovechkin’s Capitals tonight in Pittsburgh (7:30 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
Related: Five theories why the Russians lost
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)