Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EST
Seven goals, one period.
This, for a coach whose whole system is based around his team’s ability to keep pucks out of the net.
This, for a coach who chased out Roberto Luongo when he didn’t start him at the Heritage Classic.
It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year.
You can’t oversee the disintegration of a team like this and recover.
The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.
In fact, Botchford thinks there’s a good chance Tortorella won’t be behind the bench tomorrow when the Canucks play the Jets in Winnipeg.
Who exactly pushed for Tortorella’s hiring has always been a big question in Vancouver. If it truly was Mike Gillis, it was an odd choice for a general manager who had always prided himself on a progressive hockey philosophy. Tortorella is more of an old-school coach, which is why many believe it was Canucks ownership that wanted him, not Gillis.
We wondered last week if Tortorella’s system was a major part of the problem in Vancouver, and certainly nothing we’ve seen since has made us stop wondering.
There’s plenty of blame to go around for the current state of the Canucks. The coach. The general manager. The players. And yes, ownership. All of them are responsible in some way. It’s just a matter now of figuring out who’s around next season. Ownership will be. The rest still need to be determined.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 52
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (52)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)