Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EST
We noted yesterday that three-on-three overtime failed to gain traction at the general managers’ meetings in Florida. Instead, it appears the GMs will recommend to the competition committee that, starting next season, teams switch ends prior to overtime, thus creating longer changes and, theoretically, more scoring opportunities and fewer shootouts.
But that’s not the only recommendation that could emerge from these meetings.
From the Canadian Press:
Faceoffs could look much different, with GMs agreeing to try making centres who violate rules move 12-to-18 inches back instead of being kicked out of the circle.
A second violation would remain a two-minute minor penalty.
Another recommendation on faceoffs involves players on the outside of the circle being separated by roughly one metre instead of right next to each other.
The idea was originally proposed by Doug Armstrong of the St. Louis Blues, and it quickly gained support.
Per ESPN.com, Armstrong said the increased separation of players before faceoffs “allows the quicker player to to get to the puck and generate scoring chances.”
As for the recommendation to move players back on faceoff violations, that’s presumably intended to stop teams from sending wingers into faceoffs to intentionally get kicked out, which typically occurs after icing calls when a team is tired and wants as long a delay as possible to rest.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 0
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 14
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)