Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Tuesday night was a difficult one for the Detroit Red Wings and generally a pretty good evening for East teams on the outside looking in at the playoff picture. Except the Washington Capitals.
Here’s a look at tonight’s results, keeping in mind that the Toronto Maple Leafs will remain above the wild card fray (for now) even if their upcoming game against the San Jose Sharks ends poorly.
- Earlier today, PHT mentioned that the Detroit Red Wings couldn’t afford to lose in regulation to the Columbus Blue Jackets, yet they fell 4-1 and seem like they’re getting more banged up by the day. Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets find themselves at least briefly above the bubble altogether.
- As mentioned moments ago, the New Jersey Devils slipped by the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1. It’s Martin Brodeur‘s fourth consecutive win and came in regulation. The Devils couldn’t ask for results that are much better than that.
- The Carolina Hurricanes rank as serious underdogs to climb back up, but they got an important 3-1 win against the New York Rangers, who aren’t that far from falling down to a wild card spot or worse.
- It has to be deflating for the Washington Capitals to land zero points in two games on back-to-back days against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that’s exactly what happened on Monday and Tuesday. The Pens beat them 2-0 tonight; read more about it here.
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones broke down the playoff picture a bit after the Caps – Pens game:
Here’s a look at the updated standings via NHL.com:
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)