Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Tuesday night was a difficult one for the Detroit Red Wings and generally a pretty good evening for East teams on the outside looking in at the playoff picture. Except the Washington Capitals.
Here’s a look at tonight’s results, keeping in mind that the Toronto Maple Leafs will remain above the wild card fray (for now) even if their upcoming game against the San Jose Sharks ends poorly.
- Earlier today, PHT mentioned that the Detroit Red Wings couldn’t afford to lose in regulation to the Columbus Blue Jackets, yet they fell 4-1 and seem like they’re getting more banged up by the day. Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets find themselves at least briefly above the bubble altogether.
- As mentioned moments ago, the New Jersey Devils slipped by the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1. It’s Martin Brodeur‘s fourth consecutive win and came in regulation. The Devils couldn’t ask for results that are much better than that.
- The Carolina Hurricanes rank as serious underdogs to climb back up, but they got an important 3-1 win against the New York Rangers, who aren’t that far from falling down to a wild card spot or worse.
- It has to be deflating for the Washington Capitals to land zero points in two games on back-to-back days against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that’s exactly what happened on Monday and Tuesday. The Pens beat them 2-0 tonight; read more about it here.
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones broke down the playoff picture a bit after the Caps – Pens game:
Here’s a look at the updated standings via NHL.com:
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:22 PM EDT
His first game against Boston is scheduled for Feb. 9.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
The start of his rookie campaign is approaching.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Who will take advantage of the opening?
Aug 31, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The two have previously played together on the Czech national team.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Former coach Jeff Daniels is also staying within the organization after being relieved of his AHL coaching duties.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Looking to score an AHL deal.
Aug 31, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
You can expect this question to be asked throughout the year.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)