Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EST
Tuesday night was a difficult one for the Detroit Red Wings and generally a pretty good evening for East teams on the outside looking in at the playoff picture. Except the Washington Capitals.
Here’s a look at tonight’s results, keeping in mind that the Toronto Maple Leafs will remain above the wild card fray (for now) even if their upcoming game against the San Jose Sharks ends poorly.
- Earlier today, PHT mentioned that the Detroit Red Wings couldn’t afford to lose in regulation to the Columbus Blue Jackets, yet they fell 4-1 and seem like they’re getting more banged up by the day. Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets find themselves at least briefly above the bubble altogether.
- As mentioned moments ago, the New Jersey Devils slipped by the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1. It’s Martin Brodeur‘s fourth consecutive win and came in regulation. The Devils couldn’t ask for results that are much better than that.
- The Carolina Hurricanes rank as serious underdogs to climb back up, but they got an important 3-1 win against the New York Rangers, who aren’t that far from falling down to a wild card spot or worse.
- It has to be deflating for the Washington Capitals to land zero points in two games on back-to-back days against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that’s exactly what happened on Monday and Tuesday. The Pens beat them 2-0 tonight; read more about it here.
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones broke down the playoff picture a bit after the Caps – Pens game:
Here’s a look at the updated standings via NHL.com:
Dec 21, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Buffalo suffered its third straight loss.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:07 PM EST
Toronto has lost three straight games.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:42 PM EST
Will this be the worst season Edmonton has ever had?
Dec 21, 2014, 9:09 PM EST
Varlamov is expected to be back on Tuesday.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 PM EST
Bartkowski received a game misconduct.
Dec 21, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
The Stars swapping goaltenders didn’t slow Edmonton.
Dec 21, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
He had been playing with Patrick Kane and Kris Versteeg.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The Hurricanes are getting close to full strength.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Will Calvin Pickard be sent to the minors once Varlamov is healthy?
Dec 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
Rob Zepp makes NHL debut
Dec 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Collapsed on the team’s bench Saturday night.
Dec 21, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Was fired by the Oilers Dec. 15.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The 33-year-old was recalled Friday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
The Penguins forward was penalized twice for embellishment on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Torrey Mitchell and Tyson Strachan have been placed on IR
Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
They’re not impressed with how Bylsma and his staff were treated.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
He called it “no big deal”
Dec 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Had just one goal in eight games prior to the injury.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:18 AM EST
Christopher Tanev scored the overtime winner on his birthday.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:33 AM EST
Vancouver reported it’s holding him out of the rest of the game for precautionary reasons.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10