Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Tuesday night was a difficult one for the Detroit Red Wings and generally a pretty good evening for East teams on the outside looking in at the playoff picture. Except the Washington Capitals.
Here’s a look at tonight’s results, keeping in mind that the Toronto Maple Leafs will remain above the wild card fray (for now) even if their upcoming game against the San Jose Sharks ends poorly.
- Earlier today, PHT mentioned that the Detroit Red Wings couldn’t afford to lose in regulation to the Columbus Blue Jackets, yet they fell 4-1 and seem like they’re getting more banged up by the day. Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets find themselves at least briefly above the bubble altogether.
- As mentioned moments ago, the New Jersey Devils slipped by the Philadelphia Flyers 2-1. It’s Martin Brodeur‘s fourth consecutive win and came in regulation. The Devils couldn’t ask for results that are much better than that.
- The Carolina Hurricanes rank as serious underdogs to climb back up, but they got an important 3-1 win against the New York Rangers, who aren’t that far from falling down to a wild card spot or worse.
- It has to be deflating for the Washington Capitals to land zero points in two games on back-to-back days against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but that’s exactly what happened on Monday and Tuesday. The Pens beat them 2-0 tonight; read more about it here.
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones broke down the playoff picture a bit after the Caps – Pens game:
Here’s a look at the updated standings via NHL.com:
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)