Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
The Penguins have now won eight games in a row against their rivals, no doubt prompting some to call for some quotation marks around “rivals.” That includes two victories for Pittsburgh in back-to-back nights as the Pens took a 2-0 win on Tuesday following a 3-2 triumph on Monday (each in regulation).
Two stars with very different results
The numbers are pretty jarringly in Crosby’s favor in these past two games in particular. The 26-year-old star factored into all three of Pittsburgh’s goals on Monday and scored the insurance marker tonight. In that two-game span, he collected two goals in two assists.
It’s much easier to summarize the Washington Capitals’ standings point takeaways and Ovechkin’s own point total through those two contests: zero. Fair or not, many will label that as the 28-year-old failing as usual along with his team.
Of course, that takes a lot away from guys not named Crosby and Ovechkin. Both Penguins goaltenders were excellent in this two-day span; Marc-Andre Fleury stopped all 33 shots for his fifth shutout of the 2013-14 season (including 20 Capitals shots in the third period) while Jeff Zatkoff stole one for Pittsburgh in many ways last night, stopping 31 out of 33 shots.
With this, the Penguins cement their dominance over the Capitals and strengthen their playoff positioning in the East while Washington only faces greater questions about its future.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)