Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have expressed an interest in signing head coach Ted Nolan beyond his trial period and after a reported setback, they will probably get their wish.
Nolan has placed his contract negotiations in the hands of his representative, but it sounds like all the heavy lifting is done.
“Just formality and getting a couple of things ironed out and doing all the legal stuff,” Nolan said of the talks, per the Buffalo News.
Buffalo was reportedly ready to announced Nolan’s extension in late February, but that obviously didn’t happen. It was speculated that former Sabres president Pat LaFontaine departure was related to that event getting scrapped — or at least postponed.
Nolan and LaFontaine are close friends and the Sabres bench boss admitted that it was difficult to cope with.
The Sabres are 15-22-7 under Nolan, which is actually pretty good given what he’s had to work with. Buffalo is undergoing a full rebuild and right now it looks like he’s going to be the guy to lead them through it. His stock has also gone up after he led Latvia to the quarterfinals in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (42)