Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have expressed an interest in signing head coach Ted Nolan beyond his trial period and after a reported setback, they will probably get their wish.
Nolan has placed his contract negotiations in the hands of his representative, but it sounds like all the heavy lifting is done.
“Just formality and getting a couple of things ironed out and doing all the legal stuff,” Nolan said of the talks, per the Buffalo News.
Buffalo was reportedly ready to announced Nolan’s extension in late February, but that obviously didn’t happen. It was speculated that former Sabres president Pat LaFontaine departure was related to that event getting scrapped — or at least postponed.
Nolan and LaFontaine are close friends and the Sabres bench boss admitted that it was difficult to cope with.
The Sabres are 15-22-7 under Nolan, which is actually pretty good given what he’s had to work with. Buffalo is undergoing a full rebuild and right now it looks like he’s going to be the guy to lead them through it. His stock has also gone up after he led Latvia to the quarterfinals in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)