Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have expressed an interest in signing head coach Ted Nolan beyond his trial period and after a reported setback, they will probably get their wish.
Nolan has placed his contract negotiations in the hands of his representative, but it sounds like all the heavy lifting is done.
“Just formality and getting a couple of things ironed out and doing all the legal stuff,” Nolan said of the talks, per the Buffalo News.
Buffalo was reportedly ready to announced Nolan’s extension in late February, but that obviously didn’t happen. It was speculated that former Sabres president Pat LaFontaine departure was related to that event getting scrapped — or at least postponed.
Nolan and LaFontaine are close friends and the Sabres bench boss admitted that it was difficult to cope with.
The Sabres are 15-22-7 under Nolan, which is actually pretty good given what he’s had to work with. Buffalo is undergoing a full rebuild and right now it looks like he’s going to be the guy to lead them through it. His stock has also gone up after he led Latvia to the quarterfinals in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 48
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (140)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)