Mar 10, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
“For me, the contract situation is definitely something I would like to take care of over the summer,” Staal told the New York Post. “That’s the goal, but that also has to be the way management looks at it, too, in order to get it done.”
Staal, 27, has one year remaining on his current five-year, $19.875 million deal and will be a UFA when it expires. The lure of free agency will be high for Staal, especially with the opportunity to join brothers Eric, Jordan and Jared in the Carolina organization sitting on the horizon.
That said, it’s not something Staal really wants to go through.
He saw first-hand this year the toll contract uncertainty took on Girardi — who was eventually resigned — and ex-captain Ryan Callahan, who was flipped to Tampa Bay in exchange for Martin St. Louis. The pair learned that Rangers GM Glen Sather is no easy man to negotiate with, often keen to utilize deadlines and important dates to his advantage in contract negotiations. (Sather also did this with Michael Del Zotto last season.)
Sather also took his time with the Henrik Lundqvist extension, waiting until this season to get a new deal done.
Staal, who the Post figures to earn somewhere between $5.5-$6 million annually on his next deal, wants no part of the rumor mill that engulfed Girardi and Callahan over the last month.
“I saw those two guys go through it with the negotiations and all of the rumors that are impossible to avoid if you’re on the last year of your contract, and it’s not something I really want to go through,” Staal said. “You can say all you want that it’s not on your mind and it’s not a distraction, but it’s something that has to weigh on you.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)