Report: Nolan to meet with league about sucker punch

Mar 10, 2014, 9:19 AM EST

Jordan Nolan Getty Images

When Kings forward Jordan Nolan caught Oilers forward Jesse Joensuu with a punch while he wasn’t looking on Sunday night, the one group that was watching was the league office.

According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, Nolan will have a phone hearing with the Department of Player Safety about the play.

Nolan was assessed a double-minor for his shot to Joensuu’s face late in the second period. Joensuu was given a separate minor penalty for cross-checking in the situation due to the shenanigans.

If you’re curious about Nolan’s disciplinary history, he was fined last season when he cross-checked Vancouver’s Henrik Sedin, but he’s yet to be suspended, much to the chagrin of Phoenix Coyotes fans.

Update (10:21 a.m. ET): Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports says Nolan will have a phone meeting with the league at 12:15 p.m. ET

1. opattytheirishrover - Mar 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I did want to know what Mark Spector said…boom, link. To what shenanigans were you referring to?…boom, link. But what happened with Sedin? Klesla?… Boom, links for those too. Hot damn. You cats have created a one -stop shop. I dig it. Keep it up.

2. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I would expect a fine or 1 game max. It’s pretty bad but we have seen much worse this season go unpunished.

Plus, it’s worth it to see Kings fans upset. :P

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 11:11 AM

The only thing that upsets me is that people who didn’t watch the game continue to accuse those of us who did of making it up that Nolan was hit below the waist. As I responded in the other story, the video was shown at intermission. Maybe this might help (at around the 13 or 14 second mark; Oiler’s player’s left hand):

• dueman - Mar 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Sorry Pat, but there is no punch in the nuts there. The Oiler player (Joensuu) is bent over and simply reached out to avoid falling to the ice. Also his hand didn’t even hit him in the groin, but more in the thigh area, but there was definitely no punch.

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Sorry. There was a hand in the vicinity . . . Nolan took way too long to retaliate for it to be the reason for his sucker punch. Any self respecting man would drop a guy who was grabbing at his crotch right then and there. Unless he found the act pleasurable . . . not that there is anything wrong with that . . .

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM

I see now. Now that there is video evidence, it’s something else … the thigh area … avoiding falling to the ice … took too long to retaliate.

At first, we who watched the game were making it up. Now, even though we saw what we saw, we didn’t see what we saw. I give up with you people.

• dueman - Mar 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Pat, I’m not a fan of either team, so I don’t really care either way. I simply looked at the video that you put up and gave my opinion as an outsider looking in. Sorry if my honest opinion doesn’t mesh with what you want to have transpired. You are obviously a Kings fan, and you want to find a reason for what Nolan did, but him being punched in the nuts is simply not the answer.

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I just think that Kings fans’ incessant focus and analysis on what events took place near Nolan’s bathing suit area is quite telling . . .

3. joey4id - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Yes! It was a sucker punch, which did little damage to Joensuu. The NHL uses the seriousness of an injury to determine whether or not they will hand out supplemental discipline, and it’s length. Though there were no injuries it remains a blow to the head (BTW, just like fighting results in multiple blows to the head) of an opponent which can lead to a concussion. The NHL know they are under the microscope with the Moore/Bertuzzi court hearing looming, and will probably suspend Nolan for 2 or 3 games.

• joey4id - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Also, Jonesuu did have a delayed reaction after the punch which tells me he was acting a little, and the blow not as severe as it appeared to be. Nonetheless it was a reckless shot and deserved to be addressed. The allegations that Nolan rec’d a blow below the belt should carry no weight in the NHL’s decision. Retribution should not give a player a license to act recklessly (or fight).

4. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM

That’s what all Kings fans do. They pick at things until it fits why their player did something dirty. We have “he touched Nolan’s crotch” we have had “Hertl skated right into Brown’s knee.” We have had more excuses as to why the Kings do these cheap shots, than Kings fans just saying what happened was dirty.

But hey, Kings fans judge whats right or wrong by how many thumbs up/down someone gets. So I am sure all of us, except the ones showing sympathy for Nolan, will all be wrong.

• nj666 - Mar 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM

there’s a reason why they call them the flyers of the west…

• 22lakings22 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Using your “logic” then, I guess we ALL can assume that Sharks fans are bunch of freaking whiners. Oh wait…

Here’s one for you…we ALL know that you hate the Kings & Brownie, so your comments don’t carry much weight.

I’ll leave it up to the experts to decide Nolan’s fate.

5. luvusa1 - Mar 10, 2014 at 1:23 PM

@nj666: Haha…you are so clever! think that up all by yourself moron?! Based on your post name you have loser written all over you.

6. blomfeld - Mar 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM

MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING

With the exception of O’Patty and Joey, it’s obvious that the rest of you ‘Liberace’s’ here are following the wrong sport. You people should try the WNBA or LPGA which might be more up your alley. I mean seriously, so what if Nolan punched some guy in the head ? … it’s called ‘hockey’ people, not bloody snakes & ladders !

___________________________________________

ps: supportive forensic testimony for comrades Joey & O’Patty

blomfeld – Sep 17, 2013 at 2:20 AM

CASE DISMISSED !

Upon finally seeing the video, it’s now clearly evident that Nolan was guilty of nothing more than a ‘pure’ hockey play which was completely consistent with the ‘red-blooded’ spirit of the game that we all grew up loving and playing. So if you < 40 'somethings' want to whine about this, then perhaps it's time for you people to consider WNBA season ticket packages? God forbid if you pansies ever 'youtube' what Howe and Lindsay did on a nightly basis ! I will never forget that awful hit which Pat Quinn delivered to Bobby Orr back in the day. Yet Orr, as the 'glorious' man he was, simply got up, shook it off and went on to eternal glory !

7. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Yeah man, plenty of Sharks fans here calling the Kings a bunch of cheats. You caught us. Everyone reveal your true Sharks fandom to him.

8. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Oh and you spelt *Browknee wrong.

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:18 PM

And, you spelled ‘spelt’ wrong.

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Spelt is acceptable. Google it.

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Sorry. I use Merriam-Webster – you know, that dictionary thing. If Google says that it’s acceptable to use ‘spelt’ for spelled, they’re just bowing to illiterates.

BTW, spelt is a word. It means ‘an ancient wheat with spikelets containing two light red grains; also : the grain of spelt’

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Patt Is there any ability for abstract thought from you? In case you were not aware, one may navigate to a variety of dictionary/word origin sources via a simple Google search. If you do this, you will see that spelt was used appropriately in this instance. I’ll not spoon-feed this to you. Abstracts. I understand the rudimentary and linear thought processes of typical Kings fans, but geez. You should get back to analyzing the social implications of Nolan’s groin area.

9. ntvd7 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Let’s see the cross check in question…

I doubt Nolan would have slugged him without good cause

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

The cross check was delivered to Doughty. I posted a link above (3rd post from the top) that shows the play.

10. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Really Pat? You sure about that? Did I spell it wrong or did I just use improper grammar?

Spelt:
    “a simple past tense and past participle of spell”

Since we did not see the junk grab, the crosscheck or any of the things that you claim we should have. You resort to grammatical “errors”?

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

See my reply to areaman above. I depend on a dictionary for proper usage and spelling.

There is a thing called Skitt’s Law: “Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself” Your post corrected someone else’s spelling; your post contained an error itself.

If you did not see the junk grab or the crosscheck, may I suggest you do see an optometrist?

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Ok. Spoon-feed time. Directly copied from the M. Webster site: “chiefly British past and past participle of spell”. It is right there, myopic one.

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Oh and the previous post did not correct the spelling as a grammatical error . . . the post rightly corrected Browknee’s nickname. You are crashing and burning today, Patt.

11. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM

No Pat is right. Words can only mean one thing. Just like their, there or they’re. Plus he uses this ancient book of definitions. Like the one I got my definition from. Not like it was the first definition of “spelt” to pop up or anything.

You win Pat. All hail the king of Merriam Webster.

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Why, thank you, sharks! The bowing line starts to the right.

Now, let’s stop fighting. We’ve joked back and forth over the season. Let’s keep it that way. Please.

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

That sounded for like a sarcastic diss . . . but then you wouldn’t recognize it based evidence based conclusions . . .

12. sjsharks66 - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Of course Pat! Personally I never took this further than joking. So no worries there! :)

• patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Wonderful!

P.S. It’s queen of Merriam-Webster, not king. I’m a woman.

• blomfeld - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Good God !

dear Madam … I’d like to take this opportunity to apologize for anything which I’ve ever posted here at PHT which was ‘not’ to either your liking or fancy … good day to you Mam and God speed … Blomfeld

13. patthehockeyfan - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:08 PM

And to areaman who insists on insinuating himself in this back-and-forth between sharks and me, may I suggest you do something to yourself that is anatomically impossible? In other words, stay the hell out of it.

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Patt. You are a Kings fan, I expected a tantrum. Carry on . . . Very very marginal use of the word insinuating in this instance. Might I recommend “interjecting”?

• blomfeld - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM

FU Areaman ! … seriously

• areaman714 - Mar 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Oh. Bumfeld. So easily whittled to the most rudimentary of fallacious rebuttal. It is like shooting fish in a barrel with you and your other personalities.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins