Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
When it comes to Los Angeles Kings coach Darryl Sutter, he’s usually viewed as a coach who will opt to have his team defend the puck at all costs, even at possible detriment to his offense.
“The game’s changed. They think there’s defending in today’s game. Nah, it’s how much you have the puck. Teams that play around in their own zone they they’re defending but they’re generally getting scored on or taking face-offs and they need a goalie to stand on his head if that’s the way they play,” said Sutter.
We won’t go digging into advanced statistics and scare you away with numbers, but it boils down to a basic thought that Red Wings coach Mike Babcock got known for when they won the Stanley Cup in 2008. If you have the puck, the other team won’t and that means they can’t score.
Seems like a simple plan, but it’s one that works and when it’s played to perfection it’s a stifling, dominating way to play hockey. Just look at Team Canada in the Olympics who ran Babcock’s ideal kind of game to the letter.
So next time you think a team is being “trapped” to death or they’re “sitting on a lead” they might just be playing keep-away and making you pull your hair out just the same.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)