Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
When it comes to Los Angeles Kings coach Darryl Sutter, he’s usually viewed as a coach who will opt to have his team defend the puck at all costs, even at possible detriment to his offense.
“The game’s changed. They think there’s defending in today’s game. Nah, it’s how much you have the puck. Teams that play around in their own zone they they’re defending but they’re generally getting scored on or taking face-offs and they need a goalie to stand on his head if that’s the way they play,” said Sutter.
We won’t go digging into advanced statistics and scare you away with numbers, but it boils down to a basic thought that Red Wings coach Mike Babcock got known for when they won the Stanley Cup in 2008. If you have the puck, the other team won’t and that means they can’t score.
Seems like a simple plan, but it’s one that works and when it’s played to perfection it’s a stifling, dominating way to play hockey. Just look at Team Canada in the Olympics who ran Babcock’s ideal kind of game to the letter.
So next time you think a team is being “trapped” to death or they’re “sitting on a lead” they might just be playing keep-away and making you pull your hair out just the same.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)