Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
McElhinney goes for Jackets
McElhinney has seen game action recently, mind you — he stopped 13 of 15 shots in relief of Bobrovsky during Thursday’s 6-1 thumping against Chicago. But it’s been a while since Columbus had to rely on McElhinney consistently, like it did when Bobrovsky went down to a groin injury in late November.
As for the goalie Columbus will be facing, Tim Thomas gets his first start as a member of the Dallas Stars tonight. He’ll be taking the place of Kari Lehtonen, who is sidelined by a concussion. Thomas came on in relief of Lehtonen during Saturday’s big 4-3 win over Minnesota, stopping all six shots faced.
(For more on the Blue Jackets and their playoff chase, click here.)
Halak back in for Washington
The Caps will go back to Jaroslav Halak tonight against Pittsburgh, after he stopped 31 of 33 shots for a win in his Washington debut on Saturday against Phoenix.
Acquired from Buffalo at the deadline in exchange for Michal Neuvirth, Halak has a real opportunity to win the No. 1 job in D.C. — Neuvirth is gone (obviously), Braden Holtby has struggled at times this year and Philipp Grubauer doesn’t seem ready to shoulder a full-time load in the NHL. The Caps need wins to keep pace in the Eastern Conference playoff chase, and they could turn to Halak to get them.
For the Pens, Jeff Zatkoff gets the nod tonight.
Kings at Flames: Martin Jones vs. Joni Ortio
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5